How do I Restore <C/Users/Default User> after it was deleted?-- no new or guest users can added

Original title: Restore <C/Users/Default User>

I accidentally deleted the <C/Users/Default User> files (WIN 7 64 bit), so that no new or guest users can added. When I right-click on the folder, it says it is moved to another location, but in fact it is gone I've tried System restore, but that failed to fix. Is there a way to repair this without a complete Windows reinstall?

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2019 Views 68,228 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Since the Default folder is normally hidden, you must have tried pretty hard to delete it. This also means that you probably have the skills to follow the following lengthy restoration procedure:
  1. Enable the Administrator account.
  2. Reboot the machine.
  3. Log on as Administrator.
  4. Copy the profile folder of your normal logon account to C:\Users\Default
    (Note also that under Windows 7 the default profile folder is called "Default", not "Default User".)
  5. Delete the unwanted data files and folders from the Default folder.
  6. Set the permissions of the Default folder as follows:
    Everyone: Read
    System, Administrators: Full
  7. Unhide the registry files in c:\Default.
  8. Right-click these registry files one at a time, then left-click the line "Restore previous versions" so that you can restore the registry files to their previous value.
Point 8 illustrates what System Restore will and won't do for you. It won't restore data files when invoked in the usual way (which, in fact, is a feature of System Restore that is specifically mentioned in Windows Help) but it can be used to manually restore files that still exist.

Enjoy! By the way, seeing that you like to experiment: Have you ever considered creating an image of your installation? Highly recommended for risk-takers!

85 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.