how do i restore .bkf files from an external hard drive to a computer running xp

I have an external drive with a windows server bkf file - backed up on a different machine and I need to access the data. The machine i am trying to restore to is a Mac running XP
Answer
Answer
Hi,

You can restore files from a BKF file on an external hard drive onto the computer by using the Windows XP backup wizard. The backup wizard is installed by default in Windows XP Professional but not in XP Home. Users of XP Home can install it from a Windows XP Home installation CD.

Follow the steps mentioned below and check if the issue persists.

a. Install the backup wizard on Windows XP Home if it isn't installed. Place the Windows XP Home installation CD into the computer's disc drive and install the wizard by clicking "Start," clicking "My Computer," double-clicking the CD icon in the My Computer window, double-clicking the "ValueAdd" folder, double-clicking the "Msft" folder, double-clicking "Ntbackup" and double-clicking "Ntbackup.msi."

b. Connect the external hard drive to the computer.

c. Open the Backup wizard by clicking "Start," "All Programs," "Accessories," "System Tools" and "Backup."

d. Click "Next" in the welcome window.

e. Click "Restore Files and Settings" and click "Next."

f. Click "Browse" in the "What to Restore" window, click "Browse" in the "Open Backup File" window, click "My Computer," double-click the external hard drive and double-click the BKF file.

g. Click the check boxes to the left of the desired files under "What to Restore" and click "Next."

h. Start the transfer by clicking "Finish."

i. Click "Close" when prompted.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2022 Views 1,664 Applies to: