How do I resolve a "GPSVC service failed the sign-in..." issue on my Samsung All-in-One PC?

Hi, I really need some help:

I have a Samsung All-in-One PC (DP700A7D) running Windows 10 that I have just given to my children to replace their old computer. 

Before giving it to them I removed my personal files (they don't live with me), switched my son's user profile to 'Administrator' and then logged in as him and deleted my user account. This left just his user account (as an Administrator) and my daughter's (as a Standard user). 

While logged-in as him, Windows 10 ran an update and since then his user account won't log-in again. The PC thinks about it for around 10-minutes and then I get a blue screen and error messages saying "The GPSVC service failed the sign-in. The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported." or "The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in. The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported". How do I fix this?

My daughter's log-in works fine and she can still play her beloved Minecraft (!) but any updates or installs don't work as User Account Control asks for the Administrator password (my son's) and the system freezes if we enter it (presumably also related to his corrupted user account).

Can someone give me some easy-to-understand instructions on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance...

Brett

Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/the-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-sign-in

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Kapil. 

I'l try this solution within the hour as I'm driving over to them. I'll let you know if I'm successful!

Regards,

Brett

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kapil,

I've been using your suggested solution without success. The method for changing permissions on the gpsvc registry key differs slightly but I can get it to change the owner from from 'SYSTEM' to my son's user account:  'Edward S*** (edward.s***@hotmail.com)' in folder 'DESKTOP-16KDNCA'.

However, when I click OK or Apply, I get a Windows Security message saying "Unable to set new owner on gpsvc. Access is denied."

Any other ideas please?

Thanks,

Brett

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brett,

We understand that you're having a problem with logging in your son's user account.

Have you tried logging it in while the laptop is in Safe Mode? If not yet, let's see if the same error message will occur when we log in your son's account while in Safe Mode.

Starting your PC in Safe Mode can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC while using a limited set of files and drivers. Here's how to set your PC in Safe Mode:

1. Press the Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch Settings.
  2. Select Update & Security, then Recovery.
  3. Click the Restart now button under Advanced startup.
  4. Select Troubleshoot when you get into the Choose an option screen.
  5. Select Advanced options, then Startup Settings.
  6. Click Restart.
  7. Select 4 or press the F4 key from the keyboard after your PC restarts to start your PC now in Safe Mode.

Let us know what happens next.

Regards.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 127,955 Applies to: