How do I reset my Windows 10 after replacing motherboard

After some performance issues my Windows 10 Sony Vaio finally stopped working, I took it to the shop and they said it was the motherboard and basically were not prepared to do any more.

Out of interest I did look and found a working motherboard for my laptop on Ebay and decided to attempt to change it, more as an interesting project than anything else. Well, I have impressed myself by actually changing out the motherboard and the laptop does now attempt to boot up, but now shows the following error message "Operating System Not Found".

I have no documentationon on previous Windows 10 operating system, vaguely remember buying the upgrade via my company's employee products page.

To get my laptop working again does this mean I have to buy the full package again?

Hi AndrewFinlay1, my name is Ferdinand, I am an Independent Advisor.

If your PC came with a pre-activated license which is an OEM key, that dies along with the motherboard, if you change the motherboard you will need to buy a new license for your PC. If you bought a separate license for it then you will just need to install Windows 10 back and re-enter the product key during the process of Reset.
Here is how to do a clean install using a USB media tool.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

If you do not have any license for your Windows, you will need to only buy the license either from Microsoft Store or from Microsoft web store.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2021 Views 689 Applies to: