how do i repair Fatal Error Failed to get GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll) and I only have Windows XP 32bit

I was told to download Service Pack 3 but my PC can only have Service Pack 2. Its windows XP 2002.  How to I get back the Kernel32.dll file?

Why do you think you can't upgrade your XP to SP3?

Maybe somebody else will tell us if you can install SP3 on MCE 2002 or not.  Looking around on the Internet, I am not sure.

Please answer the following questions as best you can:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive (internal or external)?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that is the same Service Pack as your installed Service Pack (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think happened since the last time it did work properly?

When do you see this message?

Do you have Skype installed and see the message trying to launch Skype?

The GetLogicalProcessorInformation function was introduced in the Service Pack 3 kernel32.dll so if you are still running SP2 you need to upgrade to SP3 (which has been out for almost 6 years).

If you are running an AMD processor, SP3 might introduce another issue too, so you need to tell us more about your system before upgrading to SP3.

Do this:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Why do you think you can't upgrade your XP to SP3? It says if its less than 64 bytes I cant

Maybe somebody else will tell us if you can install SP3 on MCE 2002 or not.  Looking around on the Internet, I am not sure.

What is your system make and model? Windows XP 

What is your XP Version and Service Pack? 2002 Service Pack 2

If the system used to work properly, what do you think happened since the last time it did work properly?  I was cleaning up my hard drive and obviously deleted something I shouldnt have

When do you see this message?  When I want to log into Skype

Do you have Skype installed and see the message trying to launch Skype? yes

The GetLogicalProcessorInformation function was introduced in the Service Pack 3 kernel32.dll so if you are still running SP2 you need to upgrade to SP3 (which has been out for almost 6 years). Wont allow me

If you are running an AMD processor, SP3 might introduce another issue too, so you need to tell us more about your system before upgrading to SP3.  I have AMD Sempro

Do this:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Compaq Presario 061
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1790 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD  3.14, 17/01/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 576.27 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.
Name ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5954&SUBSYS_2A26103C&REV_00\4&1C9EB71F&0&2808
Adapter Type ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (0x5954), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.6571
INF File oem3.inf (ati2mtag_RS480 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
IRQ Channel IRQ 17
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6571, 1.25 MB (1,313,792 bytes), 23/05/2006 04:04)

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That answers some of the questions - we know the system make and model, the OS version and XP Service Pack and you do have an AMD processor.

I don't know why I thought you had Media Center, but your msinfo32 says you have XP Home.

I don't see any reason why you can't upgrade to SP3 but maybe somebody else does and will let us know. 

It is interesting to note that by asking the right questions up front to get fundamental system information, we can avoid the panic of the non boot scenario that you are likely to face after upgrading to SP3.  If the MS Answers forums would prompt for fundamental system information when a new question is asked, you would be done by now.

You can go ahead and download and install SP3, but before you reboot, you need to check to see if you have the Intel Processor Driver Service (IntelPPM) and if you do, disable it before you reboot.  If you don't, are likely to get this common error often seen on AMD systems after installing SP3 the next time you restart your system:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xFC5CCAF3, 0xFC90F8C0, 0xFC90F5C0)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Do your best to answer the other questions regarding theGetLogicalProcessorInformation error message so we can be sure we are on the right track:

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that is the same Service Pack as your installed Service Pack (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think happened since the last time it did work properly?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem..please help

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Compaq 6715s (GR656ET#ABU)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1995 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1995 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68YTT Ver. F.07, 7/16/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 238.45 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.12 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why do you think you can't upgrade your XP to SP3?

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

The GetLogicalProcessorInformation function was introduced in the Service Pack 3 kernel32.dll so if you are still running SP2 you need to upgrade to SP3 (which has been out for almost 6 years).

If you are running an AMD processor, SP3 might introduce another issue too, so you need to tell us more about your system before upgrading to SP3.

Do this:

msinfo32

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    JASPER
System Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard
System Model    HP Vectra
System Type    X86-based PC
Processor    x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~451 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date    Phoenix Technologies Ltd. HZ.01.04US, 6/22/1999
SMBIOS Version    2.2
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name    JASPER\Jasper Lucas
Time Zone    Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory    512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory    50.57 MB
Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB
Page File Space    1.22 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

Can you be of assistance? This has been driving me crazy for over a week now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have Skype installed?

All I have in my notes for that message is about Service Pack 2 systems with Skype installed and Skype is either configured to start automatically or when launching Skype manually (the message is coming from Skype).

After an update to Skype, the new version of Skype calls this function in the kernerl32.dll file:

GetLogicalProcessorInformation 

But that function was not in the Service Pack 2 kernel32.dll file - it didn't show up until the Service Pack 3 version of the kernel32.dll file, hence the error message.

So you must upgrade to SP3 if you plan on using the latest version of Skype.

According to HP your system HP Vectra has a genuine Intel processor (not AMD) so you don't have to worry about the part of the previous reply that talks about that.

Service Pack 3 has been out for over 6 years so there is no good reason I can think of for not installing it but maybe you have one.

Personally I don't even like to work on SP2 systems since so many issues and problems are fixed in SP3.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help.  Replaced the hard drive a year ago instead 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have Skype installed?

All I have in my notes for that message is about Service Pack 2 systems with Skype installed and Skype is either configured to start automatically or when launching Skype manually (the message is coming from Skype).

After an update to Skype, the new version of Skype calls this function in the kernerl32.dll file:

GetLogicalProcessorInformation 

But that function was not in the Service Pack 2 kernel32.dll file - it didn't show up until the Service Pack 3 version of the kernel32.dll file, hence the error message.

So you must upgrade to SP3 if you plan on using the latest version of Skype.

According to HP your system HP Vectra has a genuine Intel processor (not AMD) so you don't have to worry about the part of the previous reply that talks about that.

Service Pack 3 has been out for over 6 years so there is no good reason I can think of for not installing it but maybe you have one.

Personally I don't even like to work on SP2 systems since so many issues and problems are fixed in SP3.

Thanks... NO Skype installed and I can't get Windows Update to even let me into the update site. That's my problem... Int 7 won't even get me in...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, there is something else that wants to use GetLogicalProcessorInformation and maybe you can figure out what it is and tell us. 

I figured out the Skype problem by selectively disabling one startup program at a time in MSCONFIG (and rebooting each time) until the problem went away.  Then when we enabled Skype again, the problem came back.  This troubleshooting method is called fault isolation (or process of elimination).

Maybe you can do that too and tell us what the offending program is or if it happens when you attempt to launch (double click) some application to start it.  If things used to work okay, it is probably something that you just updated lately.  But whatever program now needs it is not going to find in in SP2.

Forget about Windows Update and go here and see if you can download and install SP3.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Ignore any messages about only for processionals (you qualify for that) or any other silliness and see how that works for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2023 Views 3,657 Applies to: