How do I prevent the following error message from showing at startup? "There was a problem starting C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8600\bin\HPStatusBL.dll"?

I recently deleted all of the HP 8600 printer programs from my computer and installed all of the programs for my new HP6600 printer.

My system has Windows 7, 64 bits 

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2019 Views 3,808 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. Have you made any hardware or software recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
2. Are you able to print with the new printer?

You need to perform a Clean Boot to prevent any conflicting third party applications from interfering with your computer.

To place the computer in a Clean Boot state, you need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below and check with the issue.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: You need to follow Step 3 from the article mentioned above to get the computer back to Normal Startup after performing all the steps.

I hope the above information helps you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This will tell you everything that is running at startup.
Autoruns from Sysinternals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Hope this helps.

https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

I trust by delete you mean you uninstalled the HP printer software using either the origonal HP installation cd or Programs & Features.

You can of course use the HP completely remove utility.

Your problem is because the startup has'nt been uninstalled.

You can disable that startup in msconfig>Startup tab

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have the error that comes us  when I re-boot.  I am running XPpro 32 bit. I tried what you said, but it is not listed in the start up tab.

Sorry this didn't help.

I trust by delete you mean you uninstalled the HP printer software using either the origonal HP installation cd or Programs & Features.

You can of course use the HP completely remove utility.

Your problem is because the startup has'nt been uninstalled.

You can disable that startup in msconfig>Startup tab

Issue is not located In msconfig/startup tab

Sorry this didn't help.

Hopefully if one uses the Programs and Features to uninstall a program the process would remove these startup items.

Sometimes folks uninstall things some other (usually wrong) way and that can leave behind startup items that go nowhere.

And where is this "HP completely remove utility"?

Why would someone suggest a utility and not provide a link to it?

Do you want instructions that might work on some systems some of the time or do you want instructions that will work on all systems all of the time?

Here are some instructions that should do the job:

It might be easy to get rid of the error message by doing something like disabling the startup item in msconfig (if you can even find it), but I suggest you fix the problem and not just fix the symptom of the problem by just eliminating the startup message.

I would also not recommend that you start poking around in the registry unless you have a backup since there is no
"undo" or "quit without saving" option in regedit.  If you make a mistake, that's it.

Those ideas offer "quick" and sometimes risky relief of the symptom, but may not actually fix the problem.  I would
also be wary of ideas that begin with the words "try".  You do not need to try things, you need to do things.

Here are comprehensive instructions that will keep you safe and resolve your issue the "right" way.

A "Cannot find...", "Cannot start..., "Cannot load...". "Could not run..." Cannot run" "Error loading..." or
"specific module could not be found" message at startup could be related to some program that has been uninstalled and did not do a good job of cleaning up after itself leaving behind leftover startup entries in your configuration.

Another possibility is malware that was set to run at startup but the referenced file(s) has been deleted after a malware scan leaving behind a registry entry or startup item pointing to a file that does not exist.  

It could be from a malicious software removal or an uninstalled application.  The entry may have a curious looking name since it was probably generated at random when the malware was installed. If you search your system for the referenced file, you may not even find it.

Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during a scan for malicious software.  However, an associated orphaned startup parameter or registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up or login.

You need to remove the referenced entry so Windows stops trying to load or run the file. It may or may not be in the registry but you can find it.

Autoruns (see below) will find the item no matter where it is.  

If you just locate and uncheck the item in msconfig, that disables the item but does not remove the reference to the bogus startup item from your computer.   The msconfig program is not a startup manager, it is a troubleshooting tool.  Disabling things in msconfig to put a stop to the messages and thinking your problem is resolved is short sighted and leaves behind a sloppy Windows configuration.  Merely disabling the display of a startup error message should not count as a "solution" to the problem.

If you are comfortable editing the registry you can search for and remove the reference directly from there or remove it using a popular third party tool called Autoruns.  The problem may not always be found in the registry though.

Before making any changes to your registry by hand or with third party tools, be sure to make a manual System Restore point just in case. There is no undo or quit without saving option in regedit.

You can use Autoruns to find the leftover startup item no matter where it is hiding.  Autoruns does not install anything on your computer.  It will display all of the startup locations where the reference might be so you can disable it or delete it completely.  Here is the download link for Autoruns:

Launch Autoruns.exe (or Autoruns64.exe for 64-bit systems), maximize the window so you can see everything and wait for it to finish populating the list of entries.

When Autoruns is finished scanning your system, it will say "Ready" at the bottom left corner.  Autoruns can be a little intimidating at first if you have never see it before since it displays a lot of information.  You are really only interested in a couple sections.

Items that show up in a shrimpy color are "unsigned" entries which are usually not a problem.  The manufacturer just did not bother to digitally "sign" their files appropriately.

Items that show up in a yellow color are entries that point to a file, path, location that does not exist so they are suspicious since they probably don't make sense any more. You can choose to delete the yellow ones but sometimes they come back.  They probably have nothing to do with your issues since they don't "do" anything.

The problem item is usually in the system startup or user startup entries so click the Logon tab and see if the startup item is there.

Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.

If you don't find it in the Logon tab, look for it in the Everything tab.

You can also click File, Find to search the Logon or Everything tab for all or part of the name of the item.

Right-click on the offending entry and choose to delete it.  If you are not sure what it is, you can just disable it, reboot and if the issue is resolved, then delete the offending entry.  

If you don't see it in Autoruns you may have to edit the registry and remove the item from the Startup folder there.  
Autoruns should display the same information though.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hopefully if one uses the Programs and Features to uninstall a program the process would remove these startup items.

Sometimes folks uninstall things some other (usually wrong) way and that can leave behind startup items that go nowhere.

And where is this "HP completely remove utility"?

Why would someone suggest a utility and not provide a link to it?

Do you want instructions that might work on some systems some of the time or do you want instructions that will work on all systems all of the time?

Here are some instructions that should do the job:

It might be easy to get rid of the error message by doing something like disabling the startup item in msconfig (if you can even find it), but I suggest you fix the problem and not just fix the symptom of the problem by just eliminating the startup message.

I would also not recommend that you start poking around in the registry unless you have a backup since there is no
"undo" or "quit without saving" option in regedit.  If you make a mistake, that's it.

Those ideas offer "quick" and sometimes risky relief of the symptom, but may not actually fix the problem.  I would
also be wary of ideas that begin with the words "try".  You do not need to try things, you need to do things.

Here are comprehensive instructions that will keep you safe and resolve your issue the "right" way.

A "Cannot find...", "Cannot start..., "Cannot load...". "Could not run..." Cannot run" "Error loading..." or
"specific module could not be found" message at startup could be related to some program that has been uninstalled and did not do a good job of cleaning up after itself leaving behind leftover startup entries in your configuration.

Another possibility is malware that was set to run at startup but the referenced file(s) has been deleted after a malware scan leaving behind a registry entry or startup item pointing to a file that does not exist.  

It could be from a malicious software removal or an uninstalled application.  The entry may have a curious looking name since it was probably generated at random when the malware was installed. If you search your system for the referenced file, you may not even find it.

Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during a scan for malicious software.  However, an associated orphaned startup parameter or registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up or login.

You need to remove the referenced entry so Windows stops trying to load or run the file. It may or may not be in the registry but you can find it.

Autoruns (see below) will find the item no matter where it is.  

If you just locate and uncheck the item in msconfig, that disables the item but does not remove the reference to the bogus startup item from your computer.   The msconfig program is not a startup manager, it is a troubleshooting tool.  Disabling things in msconfig to put a stop to the messages and thinking your problem is resolved is short sighted and leaves behind a sloppy Windows configuration.  Merely disabling the display of a startup error message should not count as a "solution" to the problem.

If you are comfortable editing the registry you can search for and remove the reference directly from there or remove it using a popular third party tool called Autoruns.  The problem may not always be found in the registry though.

Before making any changes to your registry by hand or with third party tools, be sure to make a manual System Restore point just in case. There is no undo or quit without saving option in regedit.

You can use Autoruns to find the leftover startup item no matter where it is hiding.  Autoruns does not install anything on your computer.  It will display all of the startup locations where the reference might be so you can disable it or delete it completely.  Here is the download link for Autoruns:

Launch Autoruns.exe (or Autoruns64.exe for 64-bit systems), maximize the window so you can see everything and wait for it to finish populating the list of entries.

When Autoruns is finished scanning your system, it will say "Ready" at the bottom left corner.  Autoruns can be a little intimidating at first if you have never see it before since it displays a lot of information.  You are really only interested in a couple sections.

Items that show up in a shrimpy color are "unsigned" entries which are usually not a problem.  The manufacturer just did not bother to digitally "sign" their files appropriately.

Items that show up in a yellow color are entries that point to a file, path, location that does not exist so they are suspicious since they probably don't make sense any more. You can choose to delete the yellow ones but sometimes they come back.  They probably have nothing to do with your issues since they don't "do" anything.

The problem item is usually in the system startup or user startup entries so click the Logon tab and see if the startup item is there.

Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.

If you don't find it in the Logon tab, look for it in the Everything tab.

You can also click File, Find to search the Logon or Everything tab for all or part of the name of the item.

Right-click on the offending entry and choose to delete it.  If you are not sure what it is, you can just disable it, reboot and if the issue is resolved, then delete the offending entry.  

If you don't see it in Autoruns you may have to edit the registry and remove the item from the Startup folder there.  
Autoruns should display the same information though.

I did not remove this program.... Windows 10 update did! Now I ask You Microsoft to fix this issue. I have a copy Windows 10 made of the files and software it removed when installing update. I also have a copy (Screen shot) of error message. But how to post here....

Apps removed while resetting your PC
App name Publisher Version
Avira Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 1.2.95.14694
Avira Antivirus Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 15.0.30.29
Avira Phantom VPN Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 2.9.1.24376
Avira Software Updater Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 2.0.3.56495
Avira System Speedup Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG 4.0.1.5814
Bing Bar Microsoft Corporation 7.1.355.0
CCleaner Piriform 5.33
Garmin Express Garmin Ltd or its subsidiaries 5.6.1.0
Google Chrome Google Inc. 60.0.3112.113
GoTo Opener LogMeIn, Inc. 1.0.467
HP Officejet 6700 Basic Device Software Hewlett-Packard Co. 28.0.1315.0
HP Officejet 6700 Help Hewlett Packard 140.0.2.2
HP Officejet 6700 Product Improvement Study Hewlett-Packard Co. 28.0.1315.0
HP Update Hewlett-Packard 5.005.002.002
I.R.I.S. OCR HP 12.3.4.0
Lenovo Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software Broadcom Corporation 12.0.0.6000
Microsoft Office 365 - en-us Microsoft Corporation 16.0.8326.2096
Microsoft OneDrive Microsoft Corporation 17.3.6998.0830
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.30729.6161
Windows Driver Package - Dynastream Innovations, Inc. ANT LibUSB Drivers (04/11/2012 1.2.40.201) Dynastream Innovations, Inc. 04/11/2012 1.2.40.201
Windows Driver Package - Silicon Labs Software (DSI_SiUSBXp_3_1) USB (02/06/2007 3.1) Silicon Labs Software 02/06/2007 3.1
Sunday, October 29, 2017 9:24 PM

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. Have you made any hardware or software recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
2. Are you able to print with the new printer?

You need to perform a Clean Boot to prevent any conflicting third party applications from interfering with your computer.

To place the computer in a Clean Boot state, you need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below and check with the issue.
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: You need to follow Step 3 from the article mentioned above to get the computer back to Normal Startup after performing all the steps.

I hope the above information helps you.

CCleaner Piriform 5.33
I.R.I.S. OCR HP 12.3.4.0
Lenovo Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software Broadcom Corporation 12.0.0.6000
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.30729.6161
Windows Driver Package - Dynastream Innovations, Inc. ANT LibUSB Drivers (04/11/2012 1.2.40.201) Dynastream Innovations, Inc. 04/11/2012 1.2.40.201
Windows Driver Package - Silicon Labs Software (DSI_SiUSBXp_3_1) USB (02/06/2007 3.1) Silicon Labs Software 02/06/2007 3.1

I did not remove software Windows 10 did when updating to newest download of windows 10!

David

Sorry this didn't help.

CCleaner Piriform 5.33
I.R.I.S. OCR HP 12.3.4.0

I did not remove these programs or software... Windows 10 did when installing next download install of windows 10!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

You tacked on your Windows 10 issue to a 4+ year old topic about Windows 7.

Consider pursuing your Windows 10 issues in the Windows 10 Community which is here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10

It looks like there is already a "sticky" topic at the top which might be related to your issue:

P.S.  ElderN is a community volunteer and does not work for Microsoft.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.