How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

Today I before I left for work, I had several tabs in two different programs open, with unsaved work that I hadn't finished yet. I closed my laptop to put it into sleep mode, came back 6 hours later, and Windows had gracefully updated against my will and deleted a lot of stuff I had been working on and was still toying with. This is at LEAST the third time it has happened, without asking permission or notifying me that it would update while I was away, and what pissed me off even more is that it updated while I had programs running with unsaved work. At least 3-4 hours of what I had been experimenting with is gone permanently.

I am going to be as clear as I can here: I do not want to pause windows updates. I do not want to be asked if I want a windows update. I do not want windows updating at all. I am happy with my computer's operating system and half the time the new features are unnoticed by me and the other half that I do notice are either useless or negative. I DO NOT WANT any windows updates AT ALL. How do I permanently disable updates on my computer? And don't give me BS about possible compromises in security, if it's important I'll hear about it and install that update myself, when it won't cost me several hours of my time.

TLDR: Windows updated without permission while I was away, deleted hours of unsaved work, and I want to permanently disable automatic updates on my computer.

Hello, how are you?
My name is Paloma B., I am very happy to be able to try to help you in the best possible way.

I understand you had problems with Windows updates, sorry about that.

Updates are released with improvements, security fixes or news, so it is always recommended to keep your computer up to date.

In this case as you want to pause the updates once and for all, follow the procedures below.

1. Press Windows+R, type services.msc and click OK;
2. Scroll down the page to find the Windows Update service;
3. Right-click on the service and select Properties;
4. Click the stop button;
5. In Startup Type change to disabled and click OK;
6. Restart your computer.

That way the service will not work and look for updates on your computer.

I await news.

If these procedures helped you in any way, please click on "I solved my problem" and also mark as an answer, so you can help others users.

We will always be available for whatever you need!

376 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you so much Paloma for your quick and to the point answer! I've followed the steps you listed and will restart my PC after posting this reply. Hopefully this fixes my issue, and if my computer hasn't updated on its own by 2 weeks from now then I'll mark the problem as solved. If no update is posted then consider the issue resolved. Thanks again, have a good one.

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much for your contact, it was a pleasure to chat with you.

I'm really sorry about that.

Whenever you need, contact us through this channel.

Please be well and have a great day!

This is an open community, whenever you need you can share the problem so that possible repairs are suggested.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

You can use Group Policy to block automatic updates. This ensures updates are downloaded/installed only when you want them:

1. Open GPO snap-in by running gpedit.msc command.

2. Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update.

3. Double click Configure Automatic Updates policy setting, select Enabled. Then under 'Configure automatic updating' section, choose 2 - Notify for download and notify for install.

4. Click Apply, followed by OK.

Multiple reboots will finally disable auto updates.

Reference: https://www.kapilarya.com/avoid-windows-updates-automatic-download-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 116,110 Applies to: