How do I make my computer faster?

I have scanned everyday, used disc clean up, disc defragmented every Wednesday, used things to speed my computer up such as readyboost.  I think my Mcafee might be a problem though since its using 40-60% of my CPU all the time.  I'm using a windows 7 btw.  I tried to use error check utility, but I don't quite understand how it works still.  Is there any other way to speed up my computer? I tried the options in http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx#fbid=u33AK6O4aXS and I don't want to upgrade to windows 8.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Faster than a speeding bullet? Faster than the day you first bought it? Not going to happen.. :-(

Uninstall McAfee and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials.. Use a McAfee uninstaller to make sure that it all goes.. http://majorgeeks.com/Mcafee_UnInstaller_d1537.html

Next, install MSE... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/security-essentials-download

Don't scan every day. Let MSE do its stuff without intervention. Only intervene when it asks for it.

ReadyBoost is ok for use on low powered Netbooks. On anything with 2gb RAM and more, it is a waste of a flashdrive.

Do NOT run registry cleaners or any utility which promises to make your PC faster. The claims are FALSE.

CTRL + SHIFT + ESC opens up Task Manager..

Processes tab > CPU header.. click once or twice on the CPU header to group the tasks using most resources at the top.

System Idle should run between 92 and 98%. Make a note of any process which takes away from System Idle, make a note of it and then look up what the process does. If it is something that you have installed but don't use, uninstall it.

How much RAM do you have? If you are running Windows 7 32-bit, you need 2gb. If 64-bit, you need 4gb. These numbers give you spare capacity.

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have scanned everyday, used disc clean up, disc defragmented every Wednesday, used things to speed my computer up such as readyboost.  I think my Mcafee might be a problem though since its using 40-60% of my CPU all the time.  I'm using a windows 7 btw.  I tried to use error check utility, but I don't quite understand how it works still.  Is there any other way to speed up my computer? I tried the options in http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx#fbid=u33AK6O4aXS and I don't want to upgrade to windows 8.

Get rid of McAfee. Anything and everything made by McAfee.

As far as AntiVirus - the free ones are fine: Avira, AVG, Avast, UnThreat

You could spend ~60USD for two years of eSET NOD32 AntiVirus (not the suite - just the AntiVirus product) and that would be more than worth it.

In your case, here is what I suggest...

Pick a product other than McAfee and/or Norton. Get it.

Uninstall the McAfee stuff (use their removal tool from here.)

After a reboot - install your new product and update it after the install.

Perform a full scan with it.

Then - just to make sure you started out on the right foot...

Check for malware:

Download, install, run, update and perform full system scans with the following two applications:

Removing everything they find. Rebooting when needed. (You can uninstall one or both when done.)

Then perform an online scan with the eSet Online Scanner. Remove anything it finds.

Reboot.

Beyond that...

The less you have running all the time, the better the things you want to run will perform:

Use Autoruns to figure out what all is starting up when your computer does/when you log on. Look up anything you do not know about using Google (and/or ask here.) You can hopefully figure out if there are things starting when you computer does (or you logon) that you do not need and then configure them (via their own built-in mechanisms is the preferred method) so they do not start up - using your resources without reason.

You can download and utilize Process Explorer to see exactly what is taking up your processor/CPU time and memory. This can help you recognize applications you might want to look into alternatives for and/or get rid of all together.

Clean up your Internet Explorer and Firefox.  A lot of the times the complaints turn out to be more Internet related that even those people complaining realize:

Uninstall all Internet plugins (Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Apple QuickTime, Apple iTunes, Adobe Shockwave Player, Microsoft Silverlight, Real Player, Real Aternative, Adobe AIR, Sun JAVA, etc.)

Reset Internet Explorer back to its DEFAULT settings.  (<-- clickable link.)

If you use Firefox, reset it top defaults as well.  (<-- clickable link.)

Restart the computer.

Install the latest versions of these plugins:

Adobe Flash Player (uncheck the box to install other stuff)

Microsoft Silverlight

Apple Quicktime (uncheck all boxes here too)

Java Runtime Environment (install carefully, don't install anything extra)

Restart the computer.

Install the basic version of the K-lite Codec pack.

Restart the computer.

How are your hardware device drivers?  Are they the latest the manufacturer(s) offer?
(Microsoft did not likely make nor do they support your hardware.  Do not rely on any internal mechanism or third party driver update utility - always go to the source for each piece of hardware yourself.)

What other things have you done to speed [your] computer up (such as readyboost)?

What are your system specifications (CPU speed and number of cores, amount of system memory/RAM, amount of drive space (free and total), video card make & model, etc.)?
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Get rid of McAfee. Anything and everything made by McAfee.

As far as AntiVirus - the free ones are fine: Avira, AVG, Avast, UnThreat

You could spend ~60USD for two years of eSET NOD32 AntiVirus (not the suite - just the AntiVirus product) and that would be more than worth it.

In your case, here is what I suggest...

Pick a product other than McAfee and/or Norton. Get it.

Uninstall the McAfee stuff (use their removal tool from here.)

After a reboot - install your new product and update it after the install.

Perform a full scan with it.

Then - just to make sure you started out on the right foot...

Check for malware:

Download, install, run, update and perform full system scans with the following two applications:

Removing everything they find. Rebooting when needed. (You can uninstall one or both when done.)

Then perform an online scan with the eSet Online Scanner. Remove anything it finds.

Reboot.

Beyond that...

The less you have running all the time, the better the things you want to run will perform:

Use Autoruns to figure out what all is starting up when your computer does/when you log on. Look up anything you do not know about using Google (and/or ask here.) You can hopefully figure out if there are things starting when you computer does (or you logon) that you do not need and then configure them (via their own built-in mechanisms is the preferred method) so they do not start up - using your resources without reason.

You can download and utilize Process Explorer to see exactly what is taking up your processor/CPU time and memory. This can help you recognize applications you might want to look into alternatives for and/or get rid of all together.

Clean up your Internet Explorer and Firefox.  A lot of the times the complaints turn out to be more Internet related that even those people complaining realize:

Uninstall all Internet plugins (Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Apple QuickTime, Apple iTunes, Adobe Shockwave Player, Microsoft Silverlight, Real Player, Real Aternative, Adobe AIR, Sun JAVA, etc.)

Reset Internet Explorer back to its DEFAULT settings.  (<-- clickable link.)

If you use Firefox, reset it top defaults as well.  (<-- clickable link.)

Restart the computer.

Install the latest versions of these plugins:

Adobe Flash Player (uncheck the box to install other stuff)

Microsoft Silverlight

Apple Quicktime (uncheck all boxes here too)

Java Runtime Environment (install carefully, don't install anything extra)

Restart the computer.

Install the basic version of the K-lite Codec pack.

Restart the computer.

How are your hardware device drivers?  Are they the latest the manufacturer(s) offer?
(Microsoft did not likely make nor do they support your hardware.  Do not rely on any internal mechanism or third party driver update utility - always go to the source for each piece of hardware yourself.)

What other things have you done to speed [your] computer up (such as readyboost)?

What are your system specifications (CPU speed and number of cores, amount of system memory/RAM, amount of drive space (free and total), video card make & model, etc.)?
How do I update my drivers? When I download an update that I believe to be new, does it override what I have right now or do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I update my drivers? When I download an update that I believe to be new, does it override what I have right now or do I need to uninstall and reinstall?
What is the make & model of your computer?  Then we can determine what drivers you need (hopefully.)

Most Microsoft updates will replace what needs to be replaced and add what needs to be added.  You don't have to do anything other than install them when offered.
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the make & model of your computer?  Then we can determine what drivers you need (hopefully.)

Most Microsoft updates will replace what needs to be replaced and add what needs to be added.  You don't have to do anything other than install them when offered.
Make: Toshiba
Model: Notebook
That and in task manager System seems to use up a lot of my CPU after i deleted Mcafee. Not system Idle, just System.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That and in task manager System seems to use up a lot of my CPU after i deleted Mcafee. Not system Idle, just System.
"Notebook" is not the model.
That's like saying you have a "Honda" "Compact Car".

Did you do this?

Check for malware:

Reboot.
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Notebook" is not the model.
That's like saying you have a "Honda" "Compact Car".

Did you do this?

Check for malware:

Reboot.
Where Do I find the model, because when I go to system, it says Notebook as its model.  And I did do both of them and also the online scan.  I deleted everything, but my computer got slower and it started to use more of the CPU.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Make, model and serial number are printed on a sticker affixed to the base of the laptop..
Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Make, model and serial number are printed on a sticker affixed to the base of the laptop..
Oh okay.
Satellite C650D-00E
Model No: PSC0YC-00E003

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So why is my System using a lot of my CPU?  I read some sites when I googled and it said it may have been malware, but how do I know what it is if Malwarebytes already cleaned and detected everything it considered infected on my laptop.  Or is there another reason?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2021 Views 898 Applies to: