How do I get my Windows OS to boot after a reset?

My PC runs two OSs, Windows and Ubuntu. The windows was giving that constant "Bluescreen" Error, so I had to reset. Now, the Windows OS is not booting.

At the point of booting into the OS environment, the system just keeps restarting. What should I do?

Hi, Moses,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

As you have Windows in dual boot with Ubuntu, the one responsible for the boot is the Grub, and the entry for Windows may have been corrupted when you run the Windows Reset. You will need to boot on Ubuntu and update the Windows entry on Grub.

1-Boot on Ubuntu and open the terminal
2-Then run this command:
sudo os-prober
3-If your Windows installation was found, you can run:
sudo update-grub
4-When finished, reboot your PC and try to boot on Windows again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, Robinson.

The problem still persists, but the Ubuntu terminal showed that the Update had been carried out successfully.

If I try to boot into Windows, it shows that initial startup then immediately restarts.

Thanks for the assist though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Windows reset may not have finished successfully, in this case, you will need to perform the Windows reset again. You will need to enter on Windows Recovery Environment to be able to run the reset again, you can do it in two ways.

Option 1: Using the Shift key.
Press and hold the Shift key before selecting the Windows on the boot option.

Option 2: Repeatedly turn your device off, then on.
1-Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
2-Press the power button again to turn on your device.
3-On the first sign that Windows has started hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
4-Press the power button again to turn on your device.
5-When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
6-Press the power button again to turn on your device.
7-Allow your device to restart into Automatic Repair, and select Advanced options to enter winRE.

If the problem persists after you perform the Windows reset again or you are not able to access the Windows Recovery Environment, your Windows installation is corrupted and you will need to reinstall Windows. As long as you do not format the C: drive in the Setup, you will not lose your data, but they are moved to another location. After the installation, you can find a folder Windows.old in the root directory of C: drive. All your files are saved there.

Note: This procedure only will keep the personal files, all software and apps need to be reinstalled.

1-Create a USB device with an installation image.
You can create using the media creation tool, download it on this link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
2-Enter on BIOS/UEFI and change to boot from the USB device.
3-Click "Install Now".
4- Type your product key or skip it. Usually, your computer will be activated automatically when it's connected to a network if your install the same version of Windows 10 as before.
5- Select the installation type "Custom".
6- Select the C: drive and click Next to proceed. Then, wait patiently until the installation is complete 100%.

Note: Reinstalling Windows may cause the corruption of the Grub and you will need to repair it. You can see how to repair the Grub after reinstalling Windows at these links.
https://www.cybrary.it/blog/0p3n/restoring-grub...

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-deleted-grub/

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2023 Views 61 Applies to: