How do I get MS Combat Flight Simulator 2 to work on Windows 10?

I managed to get the Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 to run on the 32 bit version of Windows 10.  But then I had an SSD crash and had to reload with the 64 bit version and all my system files to a new SSD.  Because of the crash I purchased a copy of Win 10 instead of doing an on line upgrade.  However, I cannot get CFS2 to run on the reinstall no matter what I do.  Comparability mode does not work and seems to be pretty useless.  I dearly love this little game for a quick mental escape.  I don't understand why Microsoft will not allow it to be played.  There are probably "fixes" out there that I don't know about and probably wouldn't understand.  Plus, how would I tell if a site is trust worthy?  Does any body have a solution?  Thanks, RS

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

1. What exactly happens when you try to install the game on your device?
  2. Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
  3. How exactly are you trying to install the game on your device?

The minimum system requirement for Combat Flight Simulator 2 is given in the article below. As long as your system meets the requirement, Windows 10 will support the game.

Combat Flight Simulator 2: WWII Pacific Theater: Minimum System Requirements

Write to us with the status of the issues experienced on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, sorry for the delay.  I'm retired and new to this "community forum" and how to use it so my attempted reply didn't go any where.  Below is the info you seek.

I installed the program using the original discs doing a custom install of all files.  Upon trying to launch into "play" mode nothing happens.  I changed the compatibility in the program properties menu to Win 98...nothing...then Win XP service pack 3 recommended by the computer...still nothing.  Nothing opens.   The error message says the program is not compatible.   I think something in Win 10 is blocking it and preventing it from operating.  Why...I don't know...it's a Microsoft game.  My computer meets much more than the minimum requirements:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 2700K @ 3.50GHz 31 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 657MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro4 (CPUSocket) 37 °C
Graphics
SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (EVGA) 31 °C
Storage
223GB Crucial CT240BX200SSD1 (SSD) 27 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 (SATA) 31 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS BW-12B1ST
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

The above should answer your three questions.  Please let me know if you have any others or a recommendation or can send me a file fix.  I appreciate your help I really miss being able to play this game.  I'm 67 and relate to it much better then the new more complex systems. 

Thanks,

R

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I note that you adjusted Compatibility settings in the sim .exe properties.   Have you tried this one?   Go to:

Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance.  

At the bottom of this page, hopefully you will see Windows Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.   Click on that and see whether that helps to get your CFS2 to start.   If you don't see that option in Control Panel, type Windows Program Compatibility Troubleshooter in your Search box on Desktop:  this should take you there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"I think something in Win 10 is blocking it and preventing it from operating.'

You are correct in your assumption.

The problem with CFS2 on Win10 is nothing to do with Compatibility.

MS has developed a malware, which the have built into Win10 - DRM BLocking.

- You can read more details in my post at  ---this thread---

(I also have a brief explanation of why some downloads get flagged by Firefox. I have used the noCD fix for

CFS2 for at least ten years now. )

- How you got the game to run on 32bit Win10 is a mystery. DRM Blocking is not restricted to 64bit Windows.

Well, this the first I've heard of it, and if it is I guess 'retro' gamers will have a viable alternative for their games

in 32bit Win10 - assuming they don't need more than about 3.25GB of their RAM accessible.

btw - Why were you using 32bit Windows ? Have you only recently installed more than 4GB RAM ?

- Also, if you have not already. There are a few Win10 specific driver updates for your Z77 Pro4 that you

should get ( I have the same motherboard with an i5 3570) .

The chipset driver ( INF ), Management Engine ( ME ) and Realtek HD audio.

- There are some newer versions of the Utilities as well, if you are using them.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this "trouble shooter" as you said and every which way you can think of and it doesn't resolve the problem...program won't start.  I read something on the internet a while back that said Microsoft blocked CFS2 and CFS3 from running because it won't recognize a file...trying to remember exactly.  Offered to go to a third party website to download a fix but I'm always leary of doing that.  Appreciate your help.  Any other ideas?  Ron

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi "Boss"  Thanks for the input.  I'm going to copy your content and send it to my Son-in-Law.  He's a geek for a computer maintenance company and will know what to do with your helpful info.  Thank you for taking the time to write me.  

PS as for the 32 bit that was left over for some reason way back when Win 7 was installed.  It seems like when I installed CFS2 on the 32 bit Win 10 it wouldn't run then I installed CFS3 and did some comparability adjustments or installed Direct X because software said I needed it and CFS3 ran...then again tried CFS2 and it ran.  That's all I can tell because I really don't know what I'm talking about.  Ron 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2021 Views 7,661 Applies to: