How do I fix error code 0x80070002?

Hi, I have a HP pavilion g6. Windows 7.

2 days ago I ran windows updates. After the update it worked, but the next day when I started the laptop it wouldn't connect to the Internet. It says limited access.

When I run troubleshoot it says an unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue.

Error code 
 0x80070002
Source: engine

Before when I went to windows update it said several failed. I restored the computer back to before the updates, but still no connection and a different error Message.

I tried changing the softwaredistribution file name but it didn't work, now I think I screwed up that file.

The windows update has an error code: 8024001F. This says I need to connect to the Internet to update which I can't do because it has an error code. Maybe the renaming file thing works but not for me because I also can connect to the Internet.

Please help, I was considering taking it to a repair place or backing up the laptop and restoring to default?

Hi Jamie,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

This problem occurs when some files in the update are missing or Windows Update database on the computer is inconsistent with the database instructions in the update.

As you are unable to connect to the network, initially we will troubleshoot internet connection issue.

-Are you using wired/wireless network connection?

Limited connectivity means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. It can also indicate that a valid IP address was assigned but that the PC doesn't have Internet connectivity. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router.

Step 1:

Run the network troubleshooter to diagnose and repair any problem related to your network. Access the link mentioned below for steps:

http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Using-the-Network-troubleshooter-in-Windows-7

Step 2:

One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become damaged or corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.

Refer the help article to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

For reference:

For a full list of steps to try, see the Wired and Wireless tutorial on this page.

Wired and wireless network connection problems in Windows

http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows/help/wired-and-wireless-network-connection-problems-in-Windows

Let us know the status of the issue. Once you are able to connect to the network, we will check and status of Windows Update and troubleshoot accordingly.

Regards,
Anil

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tried method 2 didn't work.

I can't do 1 because troubleshooting does not work has that error code.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jamie,

1.      Did you try updating the network adaptor?

2.      Are you using wired/wireless network connection?

Update router and adapter firmware

Your router or network adapter might need a firmware upgrade, especially if you're only able to connect using WEP security or no security. Firmware is the software that is embedded in a hardware device and controls how the device interacts with the operating system.

Download a firmware upgrade from the router or adapter manufacturer’s website and apply it, following the directions on the website or with the downloaded file.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Anil

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks a lot is is working fine

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The 0x80070002 Error

While updating windows, it is possible to receive the 0x80070002 Error. As a result the update process will not be completed, and your computer will not be able to transmit files. The reason for your computer receiving the 0x80070002 Error is due to it not having all of the files that should have been transmitted when updating your software. This is an initialization error that occurs after files have been downloaded, and extracted to the computer.

How to Fix the Error

To fix the error manually, it will be necessary to remove all of the files partially downloaded, and try again to update your Windows files.

1. On the Windows desktop, press Start, and when the menu opens up,

2. Press Run, and input the following command “services.msc”

3. In the Run box, type "services.msc", and press "Enter".

4. This will open the "Local Services" window.

5. In the Local Services window find the name “Automatic Updates” and right click.

6. On right click, scroll down and press “Stop”. This will cause the Automatic Updates to pause to correct the situation. Do not close the Local Services window.

At this point you can go to the "Software Distribution" folder and delete its contents, or give the folder another name. It is advised that you just rename the folder,

7. To do this go to the Windows desktop and press “Start” then press “Run” when the menu opens.

8. Input the “cmd” command into Run, and the computer will take you to the DOS prompt.

9. At the DOS prompt type in this command “cd %windir%” (without the quotes), and press Enter.

10. You should now be in the Windows directory.

11. At the Windows directory, input “ren SoftwareDistribution SoftDisTemp” and hit "Enter". This will rename the Software Distribution folder to the new name of SoftDisTemp.

12. Type "Exit" and hit "Enter" to close the DOS window.

13. Now go to the "Local Services" window and right click "Automatic Updates" to restart it.

14. Try updating Windows files again.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i can't find "Automatic Updates" on my notebook. how can i fix this?

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also like Jamie. Error code 0x80070002 when dowload Facebook app

Check the network (wifi, Lan) are extremely good, the win could not install the app from the Store that only/soft/soft app installed by traditional (. exe).

Please help

168 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2020 Views 129,361 Applies to: