How do I enable the normal Win 11 Pro screensaver when an Office 365 Powerpoint show is running?

I have tried setting up Presentation Mode to allow screensaver but no effect other than the wallpaper changes when I turn Presentation Mode on and off. Works except when show running.

I have tried setting password required for screensaver, screensaver enabled and screensaver time in Group Policies. Works except when show running.

Also, the Screen Timeout does not activate of the show is running.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Jim,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Generally, when your device has not been operated for a period of time, the screen saver is automatically enabled.

However, when you turn presentation mode on in PowerPoint, the system assumes that you are performing an action, and even if you do not perform any action for a long time after the slide show (perhaps during a speech), the system assumes that the device is performing a slide show and therefore does not automatically enable the screen saver.

The screen will also turn off when not in action for a while, but presumably not once you're in presentation mode.

The principle is the same as if you are watching a movie without a screensaver or a screen timeout.

If anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Mitchell - | Microsoft community support expert from MSFT

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mitchell

Thank you for the prompt response. Here is some additional information that may explain my issue better.

Screen Image 1 shows the system specs and Office version

Screen Image 2 shows:

• Screensaver settings – selected and set to activate after 1 minute of inactivity

• Screen timeout settings – turn off screen after 2 minutes of inactivity

• Group Policies relating to screensaver

• Windows Mobility Center showing “not presenting”

• Presentation Settings – not presenting – screensaver on

Screen Image 3 shows:

• Screensaver settings – selected and set to activate after 1 minute of inactivity – same as above

• Screen timeout settings – turn off screen after 2 minutes of inactivity – same as above

• Group Policies relating to screensaver – same as above

• Windows Mobility Center showing ”presenting”

• Presentation Settings – presenting – screensaver on

• Background changed to match that selected for presenting

I have done 4 tests

1. With Presentation Settings turned off, open a PowerPoint file in Normal View – screensaver activates after 1 minute of inactivity

2. With Presentation Settings turned off, open a PowerPoint file and run the Slide Show (full screen) – screensaver does not activate and screen does not turn off after more than 2 minutes of inactivity

3. With Presentation Settings turned on, open a PowerPoint file in Normal View – screensaver activates after 1 minute of inactivity

4. With Presentation Settings turned on, open a PowerPoint file and run the Slide Show (full screen) – screensaver does not activate and screen does not turn off after more than 2 minutes of inactivity

My conclusion, the Presentation Settings do not work as expected (ie to not turn off the screensaver as indicated by the unchecked check box) when presenting a Slide Show and the turn of screen timeout does not work when presenting a Slide Show.

Is there some configuration setting that disables all interruptions when a Slide Show is running and can that be enabled? It seems like Presentation Settings is the tool to manage this but it does not work as expected.

Jim

Screen Image 1

Screen Image 2

Screen Image 3

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim ,

Thank you for your clarification on this issue, as well as the additional screenshot information.

After testing, I did reproduce your problem, which is probably a bug because the Presentation Settings really didn't disable the screen saver as it was described.

I have submitted this issue for you through internal channels. In addition, you can also submit your questions through the Feedback Hub (if convenient, please provide as much detail as possible, including pictures, videos, etc.).

Please share the feedback link after submitting, I will submit your feedback to the relevant team for investigation through internal channels.

Best regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mitchell

I have submitted via the Feedback Hub. Link is:

Thanks Again for the Timely Response

Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link, I have voted for you. I also hope this bug can be fixed soon.

If you have further questions about using Microsoft products in the future, please feel free to post a new thread here.

Best regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2023 Views 347 Applies to: