How do I do a PrintScreen in Win10 using an Apple keyboard

All I see is how to use a Windows keyboard in Bootcamp or how to capture screens in OSX. none of this is useful. The closest I have come is an article with about 50 posts going "Use this combination" "No that doesn't work" "This combination" "Nope, neiher" "This one works" "No it doesn't". Not helpful at all...

So let me be clear:

I am NOT on a Mac and NOT in Botcamp and DON'T have bootcamp drivers installed. I CANT boot in OSX, format a USB stick and download all the support content for my MAC, place it on the stick and boot into Bootcamp because I am NOT on a Mac.

I am on a pure-bred PC but all the keyboards I have tried sucks worse than the language I am allowed to use to describe it. I want to use my Apple Keyboard that I have been using since 2007 but Windows does not have all the screen capture abilities unless I use Snipe and then manually save every screen capture I do. That or use a Windows keyboard with a PrintScreen button.

What i don't want to do is plug in a Mac and Windows keyboard just so I can have the PrintScreen handy on my second keyboard when I need it. Hopefully by now my needs will be clear enough to not be sent on more wild goose chases to topics that are the exact opposite of what I'm asking:

I am NOT on a Mac, I am running Win10 on a PC, I have an Apple Keyboard. How do I do a PrintScreen?

Thanks

Hello Jansen,

We realize your concern in this regard.

I can see you telling that you have tried all possible key combinations on apple keyboard for printing the screen without success. It might be because that the apple keyboard key combinations might not work correctly with Windows operating system. Better, I suggest you to contact Apple Support team for more assistance in this regard.

https://support.apple.com/

Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for getting back to me. Just a few weeks ago, before I got my PC, I saw a page listing the Apple keyboard buttons to emulate the Windows keyboard functionality. I specifically noted it showing something+ something + F11 and yelled at the wife "Hey! You CAN do PrintScreen on a Mac keyboard! Darn, now I've wasted the money to buy this keyboard"

Now that I finally have my Apple keyboard plugged in again and want to test this out... it aint working. So I go look for that page again but Microsoft just has a page that lists:

On a Windows keyboard you press this and on an Apple keyboard you press this and then lists the various buttons. Specifically to my issue it lists that in Windows you press PrintScreen and on Mac you press Shift+Cmd+3. That is not helpful in this instance. Apple, on the other hand, has a page that says "If you want to use this and that button from a windows keyboard, press so and such combination". 

Excellent. Thank you Apple. Exactly what I want... Except they don't list the PrintScreen button. they just refer me to the Microsoft support site where I am told to use the on screen keyboard (which, by the way, I tried and found that half my screen capture just showed the on screen keyboard so THAT is totally useless) or I should install a keyboard mapper that was released for XP up to Win7... Again, not helpful.

I am trying to find that page I saw a few weeks ago but the internet is vast and the information scarce. Apple is sending me to Microsoft and Microsoft is sending me back to Apple. Fantastic... :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found one post where someone said you could write a command line app that would allow you to add printscreen capabilities but just my luck, the link to that also didn't work. :(

I keep telling people that I am not sorry I moved back to Windows after more than a decade away but it is the small things in OSX I truly miss... It's screen capture features that saves the file directly to the desktop and the feature I used most often , the ability to capture just a selection of the screen (fortunately I can now do that in Snipe, even though that does contain the extra "save" step)

I also miss the ability to press return to rename a file (still have to get used to F2), Cmd+Q made so much more sense than Alt+F4... I also miss the ability to save images that were mailed to me... Why Microsoft decided that Mail should not allow you to save inline attachments is a mystery...

...but the thing I mist most of all is something that has nothing to do with OSX or Windows... Of all the many, many, many keyboards out there at the incredible variety of prices, my Apple keyboard is by far the most comfortable one to use. I WANT to use Windows but I want to use my Apple brand keyboard... and yet there seems to be no keyboard shortcut for printscreen... That single button is getting in the way of me enjoying Windows with the keyboard of my choice...

One single button...

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 6,189 Applies to: