How do I disable windows 8.1 from asking for a password everytime the screen goes off?

How do I disable the password query after the monitor goes off on windows 8.1?

The computer is not going to sleep, it is just the screen that is off. Not even the hard disk is turned off, I looked everywhere but no one seems to give the right answer.

It is a personal notebook, and for battery saving purposes I set the screen to go off every 5 minutes, but it sucks to have to type in my password every single time I go to get some water or do something else. 

I still want it to ask for the key when it wakes up from sleeping, or from boot.

(And the question is not about the screen saver).

Even if you don't use a screensaver, you still have to go to the Screensaver options and uncheck the box.

Also note that your email server (if it is from a company, enterprise, or school) can enforce password policies that you cannot override without deleting that email account (like cell phones that sync).  This may or may not apply to you.

But here's the full list of places that can create a request for passwords:

1. Right-click Desktop, choose Personalize. Pick Screensaver, then uncheck the box and apply.
  2. Right-click Start button, choose Control Panel. Go to System and Security.   Click require a password when the computer wakes.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

quote:
"go to the Screensaver options and uncheck the box".

I have had this box unchecked for long time, it works for the "screensaver": where I am not asked for password.

It does not help for my power options: 
If for instance I have: 
Turn off the display: 5 min.
Put the computer to sleep: 30 min.

Then immediately when the display should turn off, it does not, it shows the lock screen...

and then the hidden feature in power options, "Console lock display off time-out", controls when the display turns off... now touching the mouse, of course I get the lock screen.

HOW to turn off the display WITHOUT any password request????????
But still get password request when the computer has gone to sleep.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

1. Is the computer connected to domain/ server network?

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if you face similar issue. Refer to the link to create an account;

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-user-account

hope this helps.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 2,974 Applies to: