How do I disable Automatic Login on Windows 7 when I cannot enter a password?

I used the instructions here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-to-turn-on-automatic-logon-in-windows-7/99d4fe75-3f22-499b-85fc-c7a2c4f728af

to turn on Automatic Login for my account. I'm the only user and it's only for a gaming machine so there was nothing on the computer I was worried about other people getting to.

But, I cannot run anything as an Administrator. I cannot run some software I have that requires Administrator access because when I try to, the User Account Control comes up and says that I need to enter a password. There is no option to enter a password, the Yes button is grayed out and I can only click on the No button.

I cannot reverse the procedure because of this problem. It asks me to enter a password and I cannot do so.

I cannot use Regedit to disable the automatic login. Regedit will not write the new value, probably because I haven't entered in a password. Or that I haven't run Regedit as an Administrator (which I cannot do.)

I've booted into Safe Mode and have had the same problem.

Is there anything I can do to reverse this procedure?

Thank you.

Answer
Answer
The drives are are mounted though and I can go into the command line and browse through all of the drive.
If you can see the folder \Windows on drives C:, D:, E: or F: then there is hope. Please send a note to (address removed) for further instructions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 30, 2023 Views 1,766 Applies to: