How do I delete autocomplete history in Windows 10?

I've deleted my history, but if I re-search something similar the old search history shows up.  I think this is the autocomplete.  How do I delete that?

Hi,

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide us the information stated below:

• Which web browser are you using to access the web? 
  • Do you have favorites saved in the browser? 

To begin with, I would like to inform that auto complete in a web browser refer to the function which allows you to save your passwords, email address, home address, etc. This will ensure that when you enter your personal details, you will not have to type the entire form or dialog boxes.

If you are using Internet Explorer, you can refer to the link below and check.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/manage-delete-browsing-history-internet-explorer#ie=ie-11 

Hope this helps 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm using Microsoft Edge.  From what it sounds like if I delete my saved passwords, it will then delete emails, addresses, etc. on everything, BUT it will also delete the autocomplete info.  I wish they could separate the two - saved passwords as one thing (if you've checked to save) and saved searches (autocomplete) as another.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As per the above response, I would like to begin by explaining that auto complete pertains only to the information that the browser saves to make it easier for you when you have to enter your regular personal details via the browser.

When it comes to searches, if you would have created and saved favorites in the browser, it will display or prompt the URL when you enter it on the address bar. However if you didn't create such settings, clearing the browser history should work.

Having stated the above, I suggest that you follow the steps below just to check if you are able to clear your browser history

1. Click on the More actions (…) icon next to      the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan      homepage.
  2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
  3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.

Hope this helps 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done that, but left the passwords box unchecked.  If I go back to the search and type in anything I previously searched for it appears again as an autocomplete option. 

The history is never really deleted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the delay in response.

I suggest that you reset Internet Explorer and check if the issue replicates. To learn how to reset click on the link below

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11 

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Also re-enable the add-ons.

Hope this helps

Regards 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not the reset.  I think I need to un-check the button that says "show search and site suggestions as I type".  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 9,764 Applies to: