how can I get a good copy of Adobe Flash Player 9

I have a very old (pre 2006) HP laptop.  I'm running XP Home and still running Service Pack 2 because Service Pack 3 via automatic updates failed.  I have had difficulty updating (took me a system repair to install IE8) and I don't want to go through the very complex (to me) steps to install Service Pack 3 when I'm not using this machine for much.    All I use this computer for is to surf the internet and play simple games (like Jewel Quest and Fishdom).  I play simple games online (thru the Ask toolbar) and recently bought a CD containing four Jewel Quest games - which I've installed.  Three of the four games work (slowly) and one doesn't work at all.  I finally got sick of messing around with a slow and freezing computer and did some research.  I found recommendations (among others) to update the adobe flash player and adobe shockwave.  Since my Adobe Reader updates and Java updates have worked WITHOUT problems, I decided to do these updates, sttarting with the Flash Player.

The Flash Player unistall went off without a hitch but the Flash Player install failed and only gave me the message "installation failed".  I believe it failed because my system can't support the new flash update (I have an old celeron chip).  Adobe archives "old" versions of Flash, which I downloaded.  But they are "zip" files and I can't figure out how to open and run them.  I'm working on that, but am just wondering if somewhere I can get a good, clean copy of Flash Player 9 to download and install without my going through hours of research and work.

I know I made a mistake uninstalling before verifying that my machine would support the new Flash Player, and have learned a painful lesson.  I would appreciate any help as my game playing days are over on this machine without the Flash Player. 

Hi,

·         Do you have an application installed to open Zip/compressed files?

You may follow the suggestions mentioned below.

Method 1: Check to see if the following article helps to install Flash Player.

Troubleshoot Flash Player installation | Windows

If you have any application installed to open Zip files, you may try to change it to open with Windows Explorer.

Method 2: Follow these steps to open the Zip files.

a.        Right Click on the Zip folder and select Properties.

b.       Click Change and select Compressed (Zipped) Folders.

c.        Click OK twice.

Check to see if you access the executable file for Flash Player.

Adobe no longer supports or provides security updates for Flash Player 9. Adobe recommends that all Flash Player users on supported systems upgrade to the most recent version. You can get the most recent version of Flash Player from the Flash Player Download Center.

Flash Player 9 support discontinued

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have visitied all the  links you have provided and am aware (painfully) that Adobe does not support Flash Player 9.  My problem is that I cannot upgrade as my upgrade (obtained from the Adobe Flash Player download Center)  FAILED.  I followed the directions in the troubleshooting link but did not find a solution to my problem.   I received no additional information (ie, error codes, KB articles, etc.) - just the message "download failed".  I am assuming the dowload failed because my Celeron chip is not "fast" enough to utilize the most recent  upgrade of Flash Player.  Accordingly I went to the link for "older versions of adobe flash player". 

I downloaded the archived files for a version of Flash Player 9 from the Adobe archived site and received a bunch of zip files - some for mac, some for another operating system, and some for Windows.  I am NOT an experienced computer user and find these files imposing if not overwhelming. I will try to open the zip files per your suggestions.  I do not think I have a separate application to open zip files.

Even if I get the zip files opened, how do I identify the "executable" file?  Is it the file with the suffix "exe"?  What do I do with the other zip files for Windows?  Open them and try to run them?  Do I even need the other zip files (I was sent four for windows)?

Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.  

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Yes, the executables have a .exe extension. You simply need to double click on the .exe file to execute it.

A zip file can be an executable or also any other document. You may check which one works for you among the ones sent to you.

Also see:

Microsoft Windows XP - Extract files from a zipped compressed folder

Microsoft Windows XP - File compression overview

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 3, 2022 Views 591 Applies to: