How can I format my hard drive completely and then install windows 7?

I currently have a Dell Studio 1735 laptop running Windows Vista.

I have just bought a Windows 7 disk and I wish to completely format my C: drive (and the recovery D: drive) and then install the new OS. I have backed up everything I need to, downloaded all drivers available from the Dell website for my laptop model, and made a list of all the software programs that I will need to reinstall once Windows 7 will be installed.

I have done some research on the internet and the most popular method is to boot the laptop from the Windows 7 disk, format my HDD through BIOS, and then install the OS from there. Once this is done, install the drivers for all the hardware then that should be it. However, I don't know how reliable/accurate this information is.

Is this how I should go about this, or is there an easier, simpler method? Basically I want to clean out my HDD and put on the new OS.

If anyone could help, I'd be grateful for a step-by-step method if at all possible.

Thanks.
Answer
Answer

Custom Clean Install Steps  - With Hard Drive Format

Times to use:

Moving from XP to 7, or unsupported in place upgrade paths (ex: Vista Home to 7 Pro)

Moving from a 32 bit Windows system to a 64 bit system, or changing languages

Don't want to do an in place upgrade, or you want a fresh/clean install

You can use an Upgrade or Full Windows 7 disk to do a custom clean install. This will remove all your programs, but you can save your files and settings to external storage before doing so. You will have to reinstall all your programs after installing Windows 7. Here are the steps:

1. Run Windows Upgrade Advisor to see if there are any known issues that might affect the installation and whether you can install the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

2. Backup all your files and settings to avoid losing docs, photos, and other information. Windows Easy Transfer is a free tool to copy files (not programs) from your PC, and then transfer them back after you install Windows 7. If you don't want to use Windows Easy Transfer, you can copy your files to a USB drive, or CD/DVD. Note: Easy Transfer will not work when changing languages, or when going from 64 bit to 32 bit (it will work going from 32 bit to 64 bit).

http://windows.microsoft.com/windows-easy-transfer

3. Locate the installation disks and any associated product/license keys for all your programs because you'll need to manually reinstall all programs. If you downloaded some programs from the Internet you can redownload them.

4.  You can format a partition with the Windows 7 installation DVD:

1. Boot from the DVD

2. Click Install Now

3. At the setup screen, click Custom (Advanced)

4. Click Drive Options

5. Select the partition(s) you want to format - make sure you chose the CORRECT partition

6. Click Format - this will delete EVERYTHING on that partition

7. Create a new partition (if needed) and select a partition to install Windows on.

8. Continue with install.

5. After Windows 7 is installed you can install your drivers,  and use Windows Easy Transfer (or another backup method you used) to restore your files & settings, and use your installation disks to reinstall all your programs. Then you're done - enjoy Windows 7.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers

MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

The first thing you should make sure do is backup all your personal files and settings using Windows Easy Transfer:

http://www.notebooks.com/2009/10/07/using-windows-easy-transfer-in-windows-7/

If what you bought is an upgrade version of Windows 7, you will need to follow the instructions below to do a custom clean install with upgrade media:

How to do a clean install with the upgrade disk:

Boot from the Windows 7 DVD

Click Install Now

Accept License Agreement

When the option is displayed to select an installation type, click (Custom Advanced)

Click Drive Options

Select the drive/s click Delete

Click New

Click Apply

Click OK

Click Format and click Next to proceed with the installation

Skip entering your Windows 7 product key and complete the installation.

Once you reach the desktop, click Start, right click Computer

Click Properties

Scroll down to Windows Activation

Click the link x days until activation.

Click the link that says 'Show me other ways to activate'

Enter product key

Click Next

Select Phone Activation

Click Next when Enter your key page displayed

Select your country

Click Next, call the number listed

Remember to explain to the call agent your situation.

Provide the generated installation ID when requested by the call agent

They will give you a confirmation ID in return, enter it

Click Next to complete the activation.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 28,367 Applies to: