How can I fix "Driver PNP Watchdog" error if window's won't boot?

After a recent update around May 8th, my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro will no longer boot. The initial error is "No bootable device - please insert boot disk and press any key". 

I played around with every bios setting imaginable but still get the same error.

I used the Media creator tool to create a Win10 bootable flash drive.

After using that to boot, the Windows logo shows up and the dotted circle will go around for about 3 minutes before I get a bsod with stop code
Driver PNP Watchdog, then it reboots and goes again doing the same thing.

So I guess I have 2 issues, the No bootable device and the Watchdog.

I'm not able to get to any sort of recovery or start up screen. I can use the OKR key to get to the NOVO button menu:

Normal Startup

BIOS Setup

Boot Menu

System Recovery

Results are as follows:

Normal Startup = "No bootable device..."

BIOS Setup = Bios options

Boot Menu = "No bootable device..."

System Recovery = "No bootable device..."

Any ideas?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Anytime you have a Driver PnP watchdog error it is related to a hardware issue, or a driver issue.  If you are unable to boot into windows when this happens, this is generally an issue with Windows not being able to properly identify the device.  Your first stop should be in BIOS.  Reset bios to default settings, and run a diagnostic and make sure that the motherboard can see all of your installed components.  If it can't, then ask some questions.  Is my HDD really old?  If so then you might try checking the SATA controller settings.  If they are set to AHCI, try setting them to IDE.  if that doesn't correct your issue, then the next question is what can we remove to simplify the problem.  You will want to remove any hardware that isn't crucial to the machine starting up.  Video cards, DVD drives, extra HDD, wifi card, or anything else installed in a auxiliary slot.  Then try and start up the system again.  If this time, it starts to boot back up, you can add one part at a time until you find the one that is causing the problem.  Try replacing updating the driver, if you can load into windows, or you may have to replace that part. If after removing everything it still doesn't boot back up, then you may have a faulty disk drive or a faulty motherboard

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Setting my SATA controller to IDE did the trick!

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought a used SurfacePro3 and the screen broke after it fell. I bought a new display with digitizer off of Amazon. After that I got stuck on the Surface screen with the spinning. Did all the suggestions.. Changed bios to read USB --- > SSD, restarted, same issue, then I saw this. Because my screen was no long glued to the pc I was able to unplug the touchscreen cable from the Surface, it's the smaller one, was then able to get to recovery. I had to leave this unplugged during the entire recovery phase. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Setting my SATA controller to IDE did the trick!

It does really work!!!

I deeply suggest you guys to try this way. Thx!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar stupid backwards compatibility issue but slightly different.

I used to run an Adaptec Raid controller series 6 under Windows7 (hardware Raid 10). It was working fine.

I uninstalled the Adaptec controller for some obscure reason I don't remember and then ran the same disks under Intel controller in Raid1 hardware (after a reformat of course). Some time after, I migrated the PC to W10 (no fresh reinstall). No issue ever (on that machine) with Adaptec or the migrations.

I needed again more SATA disks. I wanted also to re-create a new W7 OS as one of my apps could simply not run in W10 (Dell X-Rite colorimeter software with large gamut display U2713H from 2013 seen as "too old").

So I simply tried to reinstall the Adaptec controller. The OS remained on the disks attached to the motherboard Intel controller, unchanged.  This is mentioned as the BIOS changes if the Adaptec Raid would have contained a bootable volume (not the case here).  

Using the old drivers (from W7 days, no update), the old Adaptec app for W7 was apparently running well in Windows 10. It could configure the 4 disks connnected in a Raid10 array. But Windows 10 would not recognise the created disks, so recognised by Adaptec app but not by the W10 system, which had never occured to me under W7. This controller had always been reliable and effective.

So, I decided to update the Adaptec app to W10 (this controller is declared compatible W10 by Adaptec) and to get the latest W10 drivers from Adaptec (easy to get).

Serious miseries started after this installation (installing the .inf for the drivers and .msi for the app), yet unsolved. Did I do this wrong? Possibly.

Three kinds of problems:

either the W10 at boot takes for ever with no result (dots spinning in circle for ever, with the W10 OS on SSD) & I have to trigger a motherboard reboot to get out of the loop;

or the W10 goes in repair after 3 attemps (or sometimes directly afterwards) resulting in a blue screen with "Driver PNP Watchdog" as a kind message at the bottom of the blue screen;

or W10 would finally boot (after a repair) but the new Adaptec app would no longer "see" the disks attached to the Adaptec controller.

If I take the controller out, W10 boots normally systematically. If I put it back in, W10 runs into problems as above. So, the issue is clearly related to the controller in W10 AND to the newly installed W10 compatible Adaptec drivers AND possibly to the fact that this controller board had been installed previously (remaining registry entries leaving inconsistencies? Who knows.)

I am at the stage of debugging. I reset the F8 possibility in BCD. I try now to identify the culprit driver when loaded (ntbtlog.txt in c:\Windows). I shall see.

I am here to see if someone had encountered also the "Driver PNP Watchdog" error and which method or approach was used to solve it well after identifying the incompatible hardware component. I simply wish this controller to work as before in W7 if I can.

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar stupid backwards compatibility issue but slightly different.

I used to run an Adaptec Raid controller series 6 under Windows7 (hardware Raid 10). It was working fine.

I uninstalled the Adaptec controller for some obscure reason I don't remember and then ran the same disks under Intel controller in Raid1 hardware (after a reformat of course). Some time after, I migrated the PC to W10 (no fresh reinstall). No issue ever (on that machine) with Adaptec or the migrations.

I needed again more SATA disks. I wanted also to re-create a new W7 OS as one of my apps could simply not run in W10 (Dell X-Rite colorimeter software with large gamut display U2713H from 2013 seen as "too old").

So I simply tried to reinstall the Adaptec controller. The OS remained on the disks attached to the motherboard Intel controller, unchanged.  This is mentioned as the BIOS changes if the Adaptec Raid would have contained a bootable volume (not the case here).  

Using the old drivers (from W7 days, no update), the old Adaptec app for W7 was apparently running well in Windows 10. It could configure the 4 disks connnected in a Raid10 array. But Windows 10 would not recognise the created disks, so recognised by Adaptec app but not by the W10 system, which had never occured to me under W7. This controller had always been reliable and effective.

So, I decided to update the Adaptec app to W10 (this controller is declared compatible W10 by Adaptec) and to get the latest W10 drivers from Adaptec (easy to get).

Serious miseries started after this installation (installing the .inf for the drivers and .msi for the app), yet unsolved. Did I do this wrong? Possibly.

Three kinds of problems:

either the W10 at boot takes for ever with no result (dots spinning in circle for ever, with the W10 OS on SSD) & I have to trigger a motherboard reboot to get out of the loop;

or the W10 goes in repair after 3 attemps (or sometimes directly afterwards) resulting in a blue screen with "Driver PNP Watchdog" as a kind message at the bottom of the blue screen;

or W10 would finally boot (after a repair) but the new Adaptec app would no longer "see" the disks attached to the Adaptec controller.

If I take the controller out, W10 boots normally systematically. If I put it back in, W10 runs into problems as above. So, the issue is clearly related to the controller in W10 AND to the newly installed W10 compatible Adaptec drivers AND possibly to the fact that this controller board had been installed previously (remaining registry entries leaving inconsistencies? Who knows.)

I am at the stage of debugging. I reset the F8 possibility in BCD. I try now to identify the culprit driver when loaded (ntbtlog.txt in c:\Windows). I shall see.

I am here to see if someone had encountered also the "Driver PNP Watchdog" error and which method or approach was used to solve it well after identifying the incompatible hardware component. I simply wish this controller to work as before in W7 if I can.

It seems I had met problem like yours without "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD, but just can't recognize my extra HDD.

When I reinstall Win10 for my another laptop, which use SSD as main disk, and an HDD as extra. After the Win10 installation, my HDD disks didn't show, which worked properly in my last Win10 and Win7.

Finally, I found that it caused by IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. I had to change this driver from Standard SATA AHCI Controller (by Microsoft, chose defaultly for Win10), to AMD SATA Controller (to match my AMD CPU). And the HDD disks came out again.

So, I can just suggest you two steps for different problems:

1. Get into BIOS, to set SATA mode from AHCI to IDE, for the moment;

2. Try to change IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller driver, to another right one.  

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem this morning and needless to say, I couldn't save any of my files.

I used a reliable solution for a variety of problems and nuked my SSD for DBAN. I then installed a fresh copy of Windows 10.

The files were lost, but fortunately, I don't keep the important ones in the Operating System drive anyway. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Did  your  windows  problems  are  solved  or  not  solved  ?
I am a regular CONTRIBUTOR on official website docs.micrsosoft.com. Asus Laptop R542UQ-DM153-Intel_i5-7200u-Nvidia_940mx_2GBvram-16GBram-2TBHDD-1TBHDD-250GB_M.2SSD-Windows10_Enter_2004_64bit_19041.450

Sorry this didn't help.

Just take format the bios and will work

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had the exact issue, even replaced my 2 terabyte harddrive, but I had a 250gb ssd as well. 

Took the ssd drive out and rebooted using my windows media creation tool iso and it booted up fine and is installing windows 10 pro with no issues. 

Not sure why the ssd drive would interfere, since it has no files on it, but maybe the antivirus resides there. 

Tom

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2020 Views 64,975 Applies to: