How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and other desktop icons in Windows 10?

I know that I can click on the icon in the 'Sound' page and click on Properties and then at the top there is a button called 'Change Icon' and you can change the icon with existing windows icons but you can also browse for your own icons so I've tried looking for custom icons on the web and have found plenty but they never show up when I try to change to them like they arent compatible b/c they are the wrong file type or wrong dimensions or something. Can anyone shed some light on this for me like do I have to just transfer the icons I download to then proper file type,an d if so what is the proper file type? Also, if this isn't the way to do it, then please explain how I can use custom icons to replace the default existing "vanilla a.k.a. boring" Windows icons?

Hi, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

When you go to one of those websites to download icons, you need to download then in the .ICO file format, that is the only format that will work in Windows, if you cannot find them easy, search Google for something like 'System icons in .ico format' and you will find compatible icons..

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2024 Views 992 Applies to: