How can I figure out what is causing random crashes in Windows 11?

I've been having random crashes and can't figure out what is causing it. I've seen some advice here for the minidumps but I have no idea how to read them. Could anyone help me figure out what is going on?

|
Hi Joseph, thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I understand the issue you have, there is nothing to worry I am here to help, as per checking and analyzing the DMP file you have, there is an error in nvlddmkm.sys, which is your Nvidia graphics card driver, for us to fix the issue kindly follow the steps below:

We need to run a Clean installation of the Nvidia driver, this is different from doing DDU or updating the driver as this will remove all entries and replace them with compatible ones, kindly follow the steps from the link below:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Additional note: If the issue persists, I suggest removing the GPU and placing it into another PCIe port available, however, if all fails, I suggest contacting a local technician to physically check the device for any hardware-related issues.

Let me know how it goes and I hope that helps.

Bernard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply! This seemed to have done the trick yesterday but today it seems to have happened again slightly differently. This time my displays turned off but the computer continued to run in the background (I could head the audio continuing with the screens off). I tried to access the dmp file again but got the following error: You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission. Only problem is I am the only user of this computer and should be the administrator.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joseph, thank you for that information, technically you cannot access the DMP files directly, you can access them and share it with me by following the steps below:

Press Windows key + E (To open File Explorer)

Click "This PC" > then follow the file path:

C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the Minidump files and save them to another location like Desktop or Documents.

Then please upload it to Cloud storage like OneDrive or any cloud storage you are using and please share the shareable link here.

To upload and share the link using One Drive:

Go to this link: https://onedrive.live.com/ then upload the file.

Then provide the shareable link by following the steps from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/shar...

In addition, since you have done a clean installation of the Nvidia driver, let us eliminate any software-related issues, I suggest doing an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

Kindly follow the steps from this link:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I went on vacation and got a chance to get back to this. I followed the steps for the in place upgrade. I am still having the same issue but now there are no longer any files in the minidump folder.

Edit: I also tried this and it found and repaired some corrupted files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 27 Applies to: