Host Server has stopped working.

I am getting errors that the host server has stopped working.  I have tried what you suggested below and when I went to install the fix for the bit service, it tells me i do not need it.  I am unable to download anti virus programs, lose my sound devices and have to keep reinstalling them.

When i checked the event logger i got teh following:

Host Process for windows services has stopped working

Hi

I keep getting this message appearing every so often saying: 'Host Process for windows services has stopped working and was closed' and it seems to temporarily stop sound coming out of my Windows Vista Laptop. Its getting quite annoying and i don't know how to stop it

Does anyone know how?

Found this helpful 0
Answer
Halima S replied on
Support Engineer

Hi mattc110,

1. When exactly do you receive the error message?

2. Have you made any recent changes on the computer?

3. What do mean by “temporarily stop sound coming out of my Windows Vista Laptop”? How do you get back the sound back on the laptop?

Method 1

Check if the issue persists in the safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Restart the computer to get back to the normal mode

Method 2

If the issue persists in the safe mode then check the event viewer to know the cause and post back with the details.

What information appears in event logs? (Event Viewer)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

Refer the below Microsoft article and install update if the issue occurred after you have downloaded updates from Windows Updates.

An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520/

Hope this helps!

Halima S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Hi,

1.       What happens when you try to download Anti-virus software?

2.       Do you get any error message/code?

3.       Which Anti-virus software are you downloading?

This error seems to happen due to some incompatibility between a program on your computer and Windows Vista. It could be a lot of different applications, so you first have to determine which program is actually causing the problem. You can do this by viewing the Event Logs on your Vista machine.

What information appears in event logs? (Event Viewer)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

Method 1

Some people have had this issue with ATI Catalyst Control Center and found numerous errors in their event log. You can then try to find an update for the program or uninstall it if it is not needed. You might also have this problem with Windows Defender, so try to find an update for that. Also uninstall useless HP printer software, and check for other events from Nero, etc.

Method 2

It could also be caused by an incompatible driver installed on Windows. This could be for any piece of hardware on your system. You can figure out if it’s a hardware issue by booting up in Safe Mode and seeing if you get the error. If it’s not there, then it’s definitely some driver that’s being loaded when Windows starts up.

Method 3

If you see an error in your Event logs that has EMDMgmt, then your issue might be caused by a thumb drive or some other external memory device, like a memory card reader. For some strange reason, you might have to connect the camera to your computer directly rather than using a card reader.

Please post back with the result. If the issue is not resolved with Windows, I’ll be glad to provide additional steps to resolve the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2019 Views 618 Applies to: