Host Process for windows services has stopped working

Hi

I keep getting this message appearing every so often saying: 'Host Process for windows services has stopped working and was closed' and it seems to temporarily stop sound coming out of my Windows Vista Laptop. Its getting quite annoying and i don't know how to stop it

Does anyone know how?

Answer
Answer

Hi

I keep getting this message appearing every so often saying: 'Host Process for windows services has stopped working and was closed' and it seems to temporarily stop sound coming out of my Windows Vista Laptop. Its getting quite annoying and i don't know how to stop it

Does anyone know how?

I have fought with this issue for the last two versions of internet explorer. There seems to be something in the error message that has something to do with data execution prevention. This is what I've found concerning this error. It helps resolve the issue with a little trial and error- best of luck CA :

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats by monitoring your programs to make sure they use system memory safely.

If you choose to protect all programs, you can still turn off DEP for individual programs. If you suspect that a program does not run correctly when DEP is turned on, check for a DEP-compatible version of the program or an update from the software publisher before you change any DEP settings.

1. Click to open System.

2. Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Under Performance, click Settings.

4. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

To turn off DEP for an individual program
    • Select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK.

If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the executable file for the program (it will have an .exe file extension), and then click Open.

To turn on DEP for an individual program
    • Clear the check box next to the program that you want to turn on DEP for, and then click OK.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi mattc110,

1.    When exactly do you receive the error message?

2.    Have you made any recent changes on the computer?

3.    What do mean by  “temporarily stop sound coming out of my Windows Vista Laptop”? How do you get back the sound back on the laptop?

Method 1

Check if the issue persists in the safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Restart the computer to get back to the normal mode

Method 2

If the issue persists in the safe mode then check the event viewer to know the cause and post back with the details.

What information appears in event logs? (Event Viewer)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

Refer the below Microsoft article and install update if the issue occurred after you have downloaded updates from Windows Updates.

An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520/

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 8, 2021 Views 16,437 Applies to: