HomeGroupUser$ as administrator

HomeGroupUser$ is the administrator.

I had tried any suggestions on community post I could find related to this but here are my biggest problem;

cmd.exe

run as administrator - "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" box pop-up and it says enter admin pass but I can see only "NO" not "YES" box. somebody said because I am a standard user so I cannot choose this.

Even if I can do this, I have no idea what HomegroupUser$ password = admin.

From network panel I can see the HomegroupUser$ pass that I tried to recover system and didn't work.

I had run cmd.exe as user and enter as suggested.

net user administrator /active:yes    but access denied!

I also start as safe mode. I couldn't do above.

I cannot change user account setting since I am a standard user.

Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts and change account type -> again App pop-up and no YES option.

Hi,

For us to assist you regarding your issue, please check this link for a possible solution.

Let us know how it goes.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Remon,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Unfortunately, I cannot open cmd.exe  because the pop-up box doesn't have YES to proceed with admin access. I can only see NO.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for that information.

You're unable to enter password and 'YES' button is grayed out or disabled, because you are in standard user account.

Have you tried changing your account status from Standard to Administrator?

If not, you can follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows Key + Q, type user accounts and click on the result.

Then select your User Account > Click Manage another account.
In the following window, click Add a user account option.

2.  Now we have to create a local account user. So after clicking Add an account, click Sign in without a Microsoft account (Not recommended), then click Local account. Fill the details on the screen so appeared for adding local account. Click Finish when done.3. Press Windows Key + Q and type cmd, for the search results, click Command Prompt. Type the following command and hit Enter key: shutdown /r /o

4. The previous step will result your system to boot into Safe Mode. After getting into Safe Mode, press Windows Key + Q, type user accounts, and pick the same from results so appear. You would have now two accounts on your system; first your issued admin account and second the local account which you’ve created in step 2. Select local account.Now click Change the account type link in following window:

Moving on, change the account status from Standard to Administrator. Click Change Account Type.Moving on, change the account status from Standard to Administrator. Click Change Account Type.

In this way, the new local account we’ve created has been changed to Administrator. Now you can restart you machine and log into this account with administrator rights. Since you have administrative privileges now; so you can backup your documents from the old administrator account.

Finally, delete the old admin account and switch to Microsoft account to synchronize your settings with new administrative account. Your system will now act normally with full admin rights in your hand.

Additional thoughts by Anand Khanse, MVP, Admin:

1. Run your antivirus software first. Malware is known to sometimes block admin privileges.
  2. Try using Clean Boot. If this makes the problem go away, see if you can identify the culprit.
  3. If it does not help, you could boot into Recovery using Windows DVD or the Recovery partition and run System Restore to restore your computer to a prior point.
  4. In case of domain computers, check with your system administrator, if has applied any new restrictions.
  5. This policy setting can be used by Domain Administrators to ensure that only select authorized users are allowed to become members of groups like say the Administrators group : Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Restricted Groups.

If nothing helps, then you may want to consider a System Restore or Reset option.

Let us know how it goes.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since it is a standard account, I cannot open "manage another account" and use "Add a user account option". It will bring me the same problem that pop-up box is grayed out and I cannot choose YES.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have any other way to create a new user account?

You may also find and check some post on the forum. If nothing helps, you can consider a System Restore or Reset option.

Keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Remon,

I had gone thorough other post on this forum but I could't find any answer to this.

So, if I do System recovery then the computer asks homegroupuser$ password. And I don't have one. I tried several options, but non of them works including actual password that I can find on control panel.

Could you tell me System restore or reset option that doesn't require admin user / homegroupuser privilege?

http://answers.microsoft.com/it-it/windows/forum/windows_10-security/rimuovere-come-amministratore-homegroupuser/b223a3e5-ea45-4152-bab6-472735cf5718?page=2

This is very similar to my situation but it is in Italian(?) so please use google translate! This is not solved as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for that information,

For us to help you further with this concern, we suggest that it would be best if you will post this query to our TechNet Forums since this is a more complex issue. They have the appropriate tools to solve concerns like this for further support and discussion.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 25,028 Applies to: