Homegroup icon on desktop

A Homegroup icon appears on my desktop occasionally when I login to Windows 8.1. I did not put it there and it is always placed by the OS in the same place on the desktop. I cannot move it or delete it. It seems to appear and go away by itself after a further login on some other day.

How can I permanently get rid of this icon on my desktop ? It is just an annoyance, but one that I do not need.

Question Info

Last updated December 5, 2019 Views 10,644 Applies to:

Hi Eldiener,

The appearance of this Homegroup icon is not because of any virus. It just appears to make its presence once in a while, or randomly. To remove this icon, just simply right-click on your desktop screen, then select Personalize. On the Personalization tab, click on Change desktop icons, check Network, then click Apply. This will change the Homegroup icon into Network icon. Next, uncheck Network, click Apply, then OK.

Let us know if this resolves your concern.

81 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I followed through on your suggestion of permanently getting rid of the HomeGroup icon on my desktop, but it came back nonetheless. After another reboot it has disappeared again, but I have no doubt it will return. This is some sort of bug in Windows 8.1 and Microsoft should fix this.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Homegroup icon appears on the desktop for a reason. Specially if the network discovery is on.

If it's still appearing on your desktop after unchecking it from the Desktop Icon settings, you can permanently disable it by turning off the network discovery option.

Go to the Control Panel, select Network and Internet, open Advanced Sharing Settings, then click Turn off network discovery.

We hope this fully resolves your concern.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Firstly it only appears sporadically on my desktop. Secondly I am not manipulating network discovery to make it appear or not appear. Thirdly why some icon should appear on my desktop occasionally, locked to its position, just because network discovery is on or off, baffles my understanding. I can just as easily open Explorer when network discovery is on in order to access shared folders on other computers in my network. I do not need a HomeGroup icon to do that.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you don’t use Homegroup, then what you can do is disable the HomeGroup listener and HomeGroup Provider services on the Services Manager. To do that, press Windows + x key on your keyboard, click Run. Type services.msc on the run box, then press enter. It will open the Services Manager. Double click on the option then change their start up types from Manual to Disabled.

Note that the Homegroup Provider service performs networking tasks associated with configuration and maintenance of Homegroups. If this service is stopped or disabled, your computer will be unable to detect other Homegroups and your Homegroup might not work properly. The Homegroup Listener service makes local computer changes associated with configuration and maintenance of the Homegroup-joined computer. If this service is stopped or disabled, your computer will not work properly in a Homegroup and your Homegroup might not work properly.

For further assistance, just send us a reply.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you don’t use Homegroup, then what you can do is disable the HomeGroup listener and HomeGroup Provider services on the Services Manager. To do that, press Windows + x key on your keyboard, click Run. Type services.msc on the run box, then press enter. It will open the Services Manager. Double click on the option then change their start up types from Manual to Disabled.

Note that the Homegroup Provider service performs networking tasks associated with configuration and maintenance of Homegroups. If this service is stopped or disabled, your computer will be unable to detect other Homegroups and your Homegroup might not work properly. The Homegroup Listener service makes local computer changes associated with configuration and maintenance of the Homegroup-joined computer. If this service is stopped or disabled, your computer will not work properly in a Homegroup and your Homegroup might not work properly.

For further assistance, just send us a reply.

That is what I want. I do not use HomeGroup so if it does not work I will not miss it. I still do not understand why Microsoft would design a service that appears on the end-user's desktop as an icon, without allowing the end-user to delete the icon so it does not appear. In other words why should a visual representation of some software have to exist in a single form in order to use the functionality of that software, when it exists in other forms and can be used as such. This is just simple-minded software design and, as a very experienced programmer, I know of what I speak.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The HomeGroup is a default desktop icon that you can disable anytime. We're happy to know that we're able to provide the soultion. For any concern, don't hesitate to reach us.

Regards.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.