Hiding Fonts

A number of fonts on my machine are hidden. Some are system fonts and some are not. However, some (not all) of the fonts hidden in Windows do show up on the font list in my word processor, LibreOffice. I would like all the fonts hidden in Windows 10 to be hidden also in LibreOffice. I have researched the matter as far as concerns LibreOffice and it cannot be done through the LibreOffice app; it has to be done through Windows 10. How?

Running Windows 10 up-to-date on a stand-alone desktop PC with LibreOffice 6.0.

Hi, Artur

Can you please clarify what you mean when you say fonts are hidden? Do you mean that, in the Fonts control panel, the Show/hide property is set to Hide?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Fonts in the MS control panel are set to hide (which simply means graying out) still show up (without graying) in LibreOffice Writer. I'm trying to find a way to "hide" fonts in Windows that hides them in LibreOffice as well. MS hidden fonts still show as other fonts in LibreOffice. They aren't even grayed out. I'd prefer that they simply don't show either in Windows or in LibreOffice. I don't know why this appears to be a problem for Microsoft, but it does appear to have been a problem for quite some time now. There isn't the slightest possibility that my machine will at any time in the future come into the hands of individuals who wish to use these non-Western fonts. What possible reason could there be for Microsoft to refuse to permit the true hiding of these fonts? If they're hidden, they can be re-activated. Even if they're deleted a future user wishing to utilize non-Western fonts can easily add them. Why is this a problem?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Artur

The option in the Fonts control panel to "hide" fonts was added in Windows 7 and has effect in certain "common controls" built into Windows that applications can use. You can see this effect, for example, in Notepad or in Wordpad. However, many applications don't use those common controls, but instead create their own font-selection controls or dialogs. This is the case, for instance, with LibreOffice. When this was added in Windows 7, it was anticipated that the functionality could be extended so that other applications such as LibreOffice could also take advantage of it. But that never got prioritized: I don't think many customers using Windows 7 ever asked for it. If this kind of functionality is something you'd like to see in Windows 10, then you should submit feedback in the Feedback Hub app to request this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2023 Views 766 Applies to: