Help: System Recovery error 0x0000003 recover image failed

Computer: Toshiba laptop L50-A
Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1

Background info: PC was running slow so backed up all data and did a system restore.
 PC was still running slow so figured I would do a system recovery from disks I made when I first got the pc. PC was still running slow and it didn't seem to wipe everything so figured it must of kept whatever virus with the other things it didn't delete. 
Then I used the disks and did a full deletion of data and partitions and override all sectors (I regret this since I wasn't sure what partitions were.) 
Now thinking I have a clean slate I go to do system recovery with disks again and I get 

error: recover image failed 0x0000003 or sometimes 0x00000002. 

The system won't go to any windows os at all and I've tried every possible thing through the disk restore/recovery/repair to no avail. 

Answer
Answer

Hi Lukets,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Do you have Windows 8 installation disc?

As you have already wiped out everything on the system, I suspect you have also deleted the recovery drive partition. The recovery discs that you have help you recover the System health as long as you have recovery drive partition on your system.

However, you can still reinstall Windows 8 on the system from a Windows 8 installation disc. If you do not have Windows 8 installation DVD, you may have to create one using another system.

To create installation media, you may refer to the article given below:

Create installation media for Windows 8.1

Having created the installation media, you can boot your system from the installation medium and install Windows 8. In order to perform clean installation of Windows 8/8.1 from the media, thoroughly refer to the steps provided in the following article.

How to perform a clean installation of Windows

NOTE: You might need to contact your system manufacturer to get the Windows activated or you need to purchase a new Windows 8/8.1 product license to activate your operating system.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2021 Views 1,315 Applies to: