[HELP] Static Screen when updating drivers

Okay im new to the Community here so thank you for your patience.

My Windows 10 Laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 7000) has been working fine for a couple of months now. Last week i went to Support Assist and updated a couple of drivers as it was recommended. There was two drivers updated, not sure what they were exactly i think one was a Network driver. Since this driver update, every time i wake up my computer from sleep, there is a static screen. There is no keyboard response and mouse doesn't really do anything. I have been forced to do a hard restart each time to get my computer working again. So far i have run a full Windows Diagnostic Scan and a Windows Defender Scan. Nothing irregular has shown up. I have also gone through every driver through Device Manager to update each driver, incase it was some driver update issue and a bugfix was made, yet the problem persists. 

1. Is there anyway i can have a log of all my drivers and when it was all last updated in order to backtrack and rollback the problem?
  2. If the problem is not the driver, then what is?

This wake-up-from-sleep static screen issue is really annoying and i don't want to do more hard restarts. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Below is the static screen upon click on the power button to wake up the computer from sleep mode. The square static in the middle represents the mouse which can be moved but no response still.

I would guess it's the video driver that updated. You can go to Device Manager and roll back the driver. You can also use System Restore to restore the whole device back to a point before the problem started.

Type system restore in windows Search and select the top result. Select System Restore and then Next and look at the restore point dates. You may have to select Show more restore points.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

How can I do this if the computer is not functional?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How can I do this if the computer is not functional?

I think in your case you may need a recovery drive for safe mode. Here are 7 ways to boot into safe mode on windows 10. They have not made this easy on ssd's and the F8 does not work anymore. If you have HDD you can try F8.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-7-ways-to-access-safe-mode-in-windows-10/

To get out of safe mode once you have fixed .

Once you have fixed your Windows problem, it’s time to restore original settings. Exiting Safe Mode from Windows 10 is a little more complicated. Here’s how to do it.

Step 1: Click the Start button and, in the search box, type (without quotation marks) “msconfig” and press Enter. This should open or show you the System Configuration feature.

Step 2: Go to the Boot tab. In the lower right corner you should see, under Boot options, a number of choices for Safe boot, which should be selected (yes, this is a third option for activating Safe Mode if you prefer to do so from this window). Make sure that “Safe boot” is not checked.

Step 3: With Safe boot unchecked, select OK, and then Restart Windows 10 as you normally would. It should now open in its full mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2023 Views 3,228 Applies to: