help! I just returned to my laptop after a day away and I can hear it running but the screen is black!

Seriously freaking out here- I left Ableton running as usual as I am recording an album, had a day off  ( birthday) and now the laptop screen is black, I can hear it running, have tried turning on/off, still nothing. Pressed the windows logo, nothing. What do I do? Is it performing a Windows 10 update or something? How long should I wait ?

Jan

Hi Sylvia -

I'm Jerico T., one of the Independent Advisor and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand that you're having some issues right now, let us sort things out.

Please perform the methods below and check if any of the methods will resolve your concern.

1. Boot your computer in safemode, click the link below for the steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sta...

In safemode, perform the methods below.

Method 1: Perform SFC Scan and Repair Windows Image
-This process will perform scan for any corrupted system files or integrity violation and will attempt to repair it along with the Windows Image.

1. Open command prompt with administrator access
2. Type each command below and wait until scan is completed.

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Quick note: While the command is running, it's expected to see the process stuck at 20 or 40 percent. After a few minutes, the process will complete successfully.

Once you complete the steps, the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool will connect to the Windows Update servers to download and replace any damaged files in the local image for Windows 10 as necessary.

3. Close the command prompt. Boot your computer in normal boot and check if the issue still persist. If the issue still persist, proceed to method 2.

Method 2: System Restore
- System restore is where it will take your computer settings back to an earlier point in time where everything is working fine.

1. Open the run box by pressing Windows Key + R and type rstrui.exe then press enter.
2. System restore windows will open. Normally it will suggest a restore point(Sometimes it doesn't), if it does, select the 2nd option to select more restore points.
3. Select your desired restore point date and time.
4. Once selected, hit next and finish.

Windows will restart itself to start system restore. System restore might take some time to complete and it is very important that system restore must not be interrupted during restore process as it might damaged the operating system. System restore will take at least 20 minutes or more depending on the content of the computer and the changes on the settings that was done prior to the date selected. System restore will also removed application , updates and drivers installed prior to the date selected.

DISCLAIMER:
System Restore is a recovery tool for Windows that allows you to reverse certain kinds of changes made to the operating system. System Restore is used to return important Windows files and settings—like drivers, registry keys, system files, installed programs, and more—back to previous versions and settings. Being said all applications and changes made prior to the date selected will be removed and needs to be re-installed if its needed.

Feel free to reach back if you need any further assistance.

Hope this help. Have a good day.

Thank you.
Jerico T.
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

HI Jerico, thanks so much for your reply-went up to the studio to try it and turned off/on and it began to configure Windows update!! Clearly it had forced an update and maybe that was why nothing would respond. I have been able to restore the Ableton live set I was working on and have not lost the other 12 songs for my next album :)

Panic over and extra backup procedures started immediately on another hard drive. I shall copy down your answer for future reference. Thanks again, Jan (aka frostlake)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sylvia -

Thank you for your quick and detailed response. I see, I'm glad you're able to resolve your concern and you can now use your computer normally. Have a great day!

Regards,
Jerico T.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 7, 2022 Views 58 Applies to: