HELP! - BSOD SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION at startup

Running Windows 7 64-bit.

This happened immediately after restarting Windows to install a Windows update.

I have also updated by graphics card drivers recently, but I think I restarted after that and it worked just fine. I also updated SimCity, but that shouldn't have done this.

When I start-up my computer, I get the ASUS logo, then the windows pulsing logo, then this BSOD:

This stays up until the physical memory is dumped to disk, then it disappears. If I just leave it, it takes me to Windows Repair Mode (or something of similar description). One of the options is letting Windows fix the problem, but the Wizard says it can't fix it. I can try to restore my system to an earlier time (I have an external backup drive), but if fails with this error:

Backup error:

0x80070057

The parameter is incorrect.

I can log onto Safe Mode as Admin, but not my User account. I cannot restore from there as it says "Windows Protection is currently turned off", and there is no way to turn it back on in Safe Mode.

After some researching, I thought it may be this bug: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2465631/microsoft-pulls-august-windows-update-after-crashes.html but due to that being in August and restarting several times since then, and the fix provided by Microsoft not working, it is probably not that (even though it has the same symptoms - exact same BSOD, and only affecting 64-bit OSs).

If it helps:

Restarting has same effect.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies =)

EDIT:

Here is the first crash:

wikisend.com/download/308448/103114-85082-01.dmp

And here is the most recent:

wikisend.com/download/519752/110614-22058-01.dmp

Answer
Answer

Problem was solved on Sevenforums.com.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/351830-bsod-system_service_exception-startup-2.html

Turns out the drivers for my Oculus Rift DK2 were not cooperating at all well with Windows. Removing the Oculus software solved the problem, but left with with an SWOL graphics adapter. A quick system restore solved that, though, so all goods!

Thanks anyway ZigZag for your initial support.

-- ~x~ --
A Gamer with a touch of class
-- ~x~ --

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2024 Views 727 Applies to: