HDR Issue - Playing games or fullscreen Youtube videos

I recently got an LG HDR compatible monitor. I run with HDR on and for the most part have no issues. 

I have played 2 games since I got the monitor - Nier : Automata works fine, I also play an older game called Outland. Playing Outland is fine until I exit the game - the game seems to flip out of HDR and then re-enable it when I close out. The issue is that when the HDR is re-enabled the white point is not set correctly. White seems to be slightly pink/grey and the image has a slightly washed out look. 

I am also seeing the same thing occasionally when I go fullscreen with a YouTube video. Randomly the display seems to lose connection and I will see a black screen with random blocks of colour and again the image being washed out when it sorts itself out. 

Solving it is easy, I just go to Display Settings and switch off/on the HDR setting and then all is back to normal but that gets annoying quick. 

Hello Jac70,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Which version of Windows is installed on your machine?

(Type winver in the search window and click on Enter)

The issue could be occurring due to outdated display drivers. Let’s check with display drivers and see if it works. To do that:

• Right click on the Start menu and click on Device Manager.

• Narrow down to Display adapters and Monitors, right click on the driver and click on Update.

Here’s an article for your reference: Update drivers in Windows 10.   

If that doesn’t help, you may uninstall the driver and reboot the machine. Windows will automatically install the latest driers for your machine.

However, you may also visit your PC manufacturer’s website, to download and install the latest display drivers for your machine.

Additional Information: You may refer to the following support article to know more on HDR settings:

Please get back to us with the results, we are looking into this for you and we will be glad to assist you if the issue persists.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am on build 1809 17763.504 - also I am using a GTX 970 and an LG 32UK550 display.

I have installed the latest nVidia driver and the system states that I already have the best driver installed for the monitor. 

I tried using Edge to play YouTube videos and noticed that the issue didn't present. The behaviour of going fullscreen seems to be different in Edge than it is in Firefox - in Edge the window appears to go full screen and then the image fills it, the process is quite jarring and slow. Whereas Firefox goes instantly from a browser window to fullscreen - it works most of the time but occasionally I'll get dumped out of HDR and then need to reset things in the Windows Control Panel. 

Also, using my Logitech Mouse/Keyboard will sometimes cause the issue if I do anything that causes the Logitech overlay to render. Changing the volume for example. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply, Jac70.

To address the issue with Microsoft Edge, I suggest you to download and run the fix it. To enable or disable hardware acceleration on your PC, kindly check with an article on: How to enable or disable software rendering in Internet Explorer.   

Also, I would suggest you to try playing the game in Compatibility mode and check if the issue occurs. To run the program in compatibility mode, kindly refer to an article on: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows.   

Note: Settings changed on Internet Explorer, affects Microsoft Edge as well.

Let us know the results. We will be glad to assist you further.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

An update to my HDR adventures - 

I have since upgraded my GPU to an RTX 2070S. I have noticed that the card runs much cooler when running 4K resolution and also the issue with YouTube videos dropping to SDR when going fullscreen has been resolved (or rather greatly reduced, it has happened but it is rare now).

The only time  I notice issues now is when running a game and using my keyboard media keys to change volume - the UI overlay for volume appears and kicks the display to SDR until it disappears and then flips back to HDR (this happens in Rise of the Tomb Raider, only game I have played on the new card). 

Also, resuming the system from sleep causes the display to be much dimmer than it should be, like the brightness has been turned down - , going to display settings and cycling HDR on/off fixes this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2024 Views 4,118 Applies to: