HDMI switchers cause my monitor to lose my PC's signal when powering off other devices connected to it.

I have an 3 port HDMI switch that connects my PC and Xbox 360 to one monitor. The idea is to use one monitor to switch back and forth between my desktop and my Xbox 360. This is my second HDMI switcher that I've used to alternate between the two. Both have had the same problem. If my PC is on, and working, and if I  decide to shut off my Xbox 360 then my monitor will lose the signal from my PC afterwards The computer is still on--it hasn't lost power--but my monitor isn't receiving any signal from my PC anymore; it's just a blank screen. And, yes, the HDMI switch is set on the proper port. I can have the switch set to view my Desktop, shut off my Xbox 360, and watch as I lose my PC's signal. My caveman theory is that the HDMI switcher was using the power from the Xbox 360 to allow me to switch between the two sources. But, as soon as I turn the console off, I can't get back to my desktop. I have to restart my entire computer just to get a signal. I solved this problem with the first switcher by purchasing a power adapter for the unit. It needed it's own power source. But, since a blackout, that unit is fried. And this new switcher doesn't have an adapter for it's own power source.

I'd like to switch freely between my Xbox 360 and my PC without having to keep my Xbox 360 on for days upon days--very unhealthy for the unit. I'd like to have both devices hooked up to one monitor, switch between them, and not have to worry about restarting my computer after every time I shut down my Xbox 360. I know the problem isn't specifically the HDMI switcher because both ones I've owned are two entirely separate models from different manufacturers. I've moved each Cable's ports around. Even used other consoles to see if was the 360's fault. But no. Something with Windows 7 decides it inconvenient to reconnect.

Oh. And my video card drivers are very up to date--please don't copy/paste that response.

Hi,

1. Did you try downloading the latest drivers and software for your video card?

It seems to me that this is an issue with HDMI switches. 

If it is something in Windows, then it is in the software package that is installed with updated drivers from NVIDIA or AMD. (Catalyst Control Center, etc.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

1. Did you try downloading the latest drivers and software for your video card?

It seems to me that this is an issue with HDMI switches. 

If it is something in Windows, then it is in the software package that is installed with updated drivers from NVIDIA or AMD. (Catalyst Control Center, etc.)

Like I said in my initial question. "Oh. And my video card drivers are very up to date--please don't copy/paste that response." That wasn't a joke. But the funny part is, you still mentioned it as a solution. I'm going to say it again. My video card drivers are up to date, still, just as I said in the first post.

What I'm leaning towards, as a solution, is that something is broken down during the handshake process. I'm not a tech person, so I comprehend this concept very minimally. But, from what I understand, there's a procedure that runs through these HDMI cables that allows the signal to be received. What I'm wondering is if there is some setting in Windows that's causing the problem.

I'm going to repeat what we know already. Just so we're on the same page.

• I have used two separate HDMI switchers.Both HDMI switchers are from different manufacturers. The problem persists with both HDMI switchers.
  • I have swapped ports on both HDMI switchers. The problem persists.
  • I have exchanged accessories on both HDMI switchers. Using both an Xbox 360 and even a Playstation 3. The problem persists.
  • I have purchased new HDMI cables to replace possible faulty ones. The problem persists.
  • Once again, my video card drivers are also up to date--for the third time. As up to date as twenty minutes before I posted my first question. The problem persists.

The only thing I have changed, swapped, or replaced is my operating system. It's all been Windows 7 Professional. Always and every time. So, I've knocked several factors out of the equation. It isn't the HDMI switcher. It isn't the console. It isn't the cables. It isn't the video card drivers--I've searched the AMD Catalyst Control center and see no setting that would cause this. This leaves me to believe that there must be some setting on Windows 7 that's causing this. Or, this is a setting on the driver's, I'm unaware of, that might cause this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem. I have an Nvidia GTS 250, a 27" Hanns-G monitor and an X-Box 360. PC and Xbox are connected to a HDMI switcher, which in turn goes into the monitor. Xbox works fine, no issues, no cutting out, but the PC signal is unpredictable and intermittent - fine for a while, then sporadically cuts in and out for a minute, sometimes spurred (it would seem) by things such as moving the mouse, but typically it just seems to go at random intervals. It's mostly happened when using the desktop but has also occurred in full-screen games. I've heard things about refresh rates, memory allocation, but so far nothing adds up. It's even doing it right now, though had stopped for a few minutes. It first started doing it months ago, so I switched to a VGA cable which was fine, but VGA is **** in terms of quality and eventually I tried switching back - and there were no issues! Just now though it's kicked up again and I'm starting to get frustrated with it. The sporadic nature of it is a bit confusing, to say the least. Could it be a power issue? Damaged graphics card? I don't think it is, and it's handling Far Cry 3 without any issues at the moment so it seems to be doing OK. I see your post was in August last year, have you had any success with it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I HAVE RESOLVED THIS ISSUE (at a cost)

I am having a very similar issue.

I have an PC with NVIDA GT 530 (latest drivers, tried older ones), ROKU both going to an HDMI switcher (2x1) to my TV (the GT 530 is also connected to a PC monitor via VGA).
If PC comes out of sleep and the switcher is on the ROKU the PC will not resync the TV and will only see the PC monitor.  Refreshing properties from display/resolution stand point doesnt work.  I have to restart my PC and then the TV will be recognized again.

I discover the issue is related to EDID (extended display identification) information which is passed from the TV to your computer.  As the TV is connected to a switcher the TV and PC do not communicate EDID information correctly from all states.  (I am not exactly sure which component is to blame, I assume it is the TV that is not giving it but I am not sure)

Solution:
Add an EDID box between your PC and switcher.  What the box does is copies the EDID information from the TV then has it available anytime the PC needs it (which covers the situation when the switcher is connected to the other device). EDID Ghosting box can be purchased from these two vendors that I researched.

ConnectPRO VGA DDC / EDID Ghost Emulator Professional Kit VGA-EDID-KITU1 
I purchased the more expensive Gefen one from AMAZON and it works PERFECTLY.  I NEVER have issues like what is described above anymore.  System was VERY easy to program.  Took 3 minutes to setup (my wife could do it, although she is awesome). Also tested and confirmed it works fine with HDCP.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2021 Views 20,594 Applies to: