HDD Disk Usage Suddenly Goes Up to 100 and Comes Back (Re-Ask)

Hi there,

First of all, I have asked exactly the same question but didn't get an answer, but got some recommendations done and after some time I replied some of the solutions, but no response!

I guess I have to ask AGAIN!

I have an ASUS laptop with these specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ

RAM: 16GB DDR4

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 960m + Intel HD Graphics 530

2TB HDD + 128GB SSD

Windows 10 v1709 x64

Windows is installed on the SSD drive to perform faster, but it seems like it has a problem with the HDD drives. When I try to browse the files on the HDD (opening documents, music, etc.) after some time, the computer (or the app which is used to open the files) freezes for 2-3 seconds and then it responds again, and it keeps doing this!

I checked Task Manager for disk usage. When the apps freeze, the disk usage for the HDD goes up to 100 and it responds again when it comes to 0 or a number near that.

Note: I updated windows to v1803 after asking this question to check if it is windows-related or not. Nothing happened, all same!

Is there a conflict between SSD and HDD?

Thanks in Advance!

[Moved from: Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

Hello Sepehr,

There are reports that adjusting Page file size to recommended by the System solves many issue. This may sound a little not related but please try this:

1. In Search tab of the Start menu, type "Adjust the appearance and performance of windows" and press Enter.
  2. Go to Advanced tab and click Change... button in the Virtual memory section.
  3. At the top, uncheck the box right before "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" option.
  4. Select drive C: (or the drive where Windows 10 is installed).
  5. Select Custom size: by ticking its radio button, and change the Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB) to the Recommended value that you will find just below the Total paging file size for all drivers section.

We would also suggest that you run the System File Checker tool to scan and fix corrupted system files. You can refer to this article on how to run the SFC Scan.

We will wait for your update regarding this matter.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I have same issue. I tried reinstalling windows 10, it said health of the Hard disk is bad. I bought new hard disk for my laptop. I Installed windows 10. It was installed within minutes. It was running fine for a week. Then again it started showing 100% disk usage in task manager. I have tried all the solutions suggested at Microsoft forums and also by other sources. Still issue persists.

I don't get it why it is so difficult for company like Microsoft to solve an issue which is there since last 2 years.  If you google you will see many many people have asked for the solution for the same issue. There are more than 15/20 solutions given by users, experts and by Microsoft itself. It is really frustrating that Microsoft still can't solve the problem. It is not just disk usage the temperature of CPU also rises with it. Ultimately it is slowly killing hardware. 

So after spending almost a month and Rs.3000, trying to solve the issue, I have decided to go back to windows 7. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

defrag the  hdd partitions  
I am working as a Mathematics lecturer in a PU college.
Windows11_Pro_64bit_23H2_buildno_22631.3593_MS.office365_C2R_2401_v17231.20236_Intel_i5_13500_Nvidia3060_12GB_GDDR6_RAM_32GB_5600_Storage8TB.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 29, 2024 Views 4,742 Applies to: