Hard drive error code 2000-0146, and "a disk read error occurred"

I'm in desperate need of help (my laptop's died just as I'm starting my first year uni exams)

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on a Dell Studio 1535. It came pre-installed with Vista 32bit when I got it 2 or 3 years ago, and I upgraded to 7 a few weeks ago without many problems.

It all started while browsing the internet today. First the system froze a couple of times. The first time I managed to recover it, the second time I manually restarted with the power button. It got stuck as it was turning off, and the hard-drive made an odd, repetitive buzzing noise. When I turned it back on, I got the Dell loading screen, and the Startup (F2) and one time Boot Menu (F12) options, then a black screen and "A disk read error occurred, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart." If you do as it says, it cycles forever.

If you go into the F12 menu and run diagnostics, it gets to the hard-drive test then goes insane, makes a lot of beeping noises, and gives you the error code 2000-0146. It also says to contact Dell tech support, but as far as I know mine has expired, so I don't know what to do. I also have the option of booting from CD or booting from NIC, though I don't know what that is. I've tried booting from my Windows 7 CD so that I can repair the OS. It gets to Install Now or Repair Your Computer. I hit repair, and then it just sits there on a blank background forever, until you turn it off manually.

I've tried taking the laptop to pieces and checking the cable to the HDD, but no change. From what I can gather the boot sector of the HDD is just...dead.

All the solutions I've seen online require the F8 startup menu for safe mode or startup repair, and I can't even get to that! If anyone can help me I would be so grateful. My absolute number one priority is to recover some files for assessed essays which are due this week. If someone could walk me through doing that it would be a great start. Finding a permanent solution to this problem can come afterwards.

Update - I can't even reinstall Windows 7. It gets to the "setup is starting" screen, then just sits there forever with the HDD light blinking. I just wanted to see if I could somehow partition it to reinstall the OS and keep my documents.

Update again - My dad tried booting it from the NIC, it got the disk read error again.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 75,324 Applies to:
When I turn on my computer it makes a lot of beeping noises, and gives you the error code 2000-0146. what is the solution for this?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

How did u  fix

Sorry this didn't help.

I solved the error code 2000-0146 problem.  It was caused by errors on the hard disk. It is possible to set up the chkdsk command with the disk repair feature enabled. The chkdsk command is activated on startup after restartong the computer. It took about 4 hours to complete the repair and it will appear to hang for lengthy periods of time. In my case the longest hang up was about 30 minutes, although it can be much longer. In my case it repaired a usn journal file, and replaced 2 bad clusters in 2 separate files. I activated the command through the following rather lengthy procedure:  

Start --> Computer --> right click on the hard drive to open menu --> then select Properties --> then in new window selected Tools tab --> click on the  'check now ' option --> then put a tick in the box to specify "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors --> then clicked start --> then selected " Schedule disk check" . The disk check is activated when one restarts the computer.

It may be possible to do it more directly by activating the command chkdsk /f in the command box which appears when you click start. I have not tried it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

solución: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPqtsiTaPao

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Error code: 2000-0146 (DST Log contains previous errors) refers to previous errors in the hard drive which might not really be a hardware failure. In order to confirm this, I recommend you to run a custom test on the Hard drive which takes longer time than the Pre-boot System Assessment which you have already performed on the computer but it will give the accurate result.

Once the Pre-boot System Assessment is completed, the computer will give you an option to “Run the remaining memory test”, please select “No”.  Then the computer will launch the 32-bit Diagnostics from the utility partition (if available).

After the diagnostics is launched, in the main menu, please click on “Custom Test”, then select the “Hard drive” and click on “Run Tests”. If the test completes without any error then the hard drive is fine and PC Restore can be performed to restore the computer back to the factory condition (which will result in data loss).

Please refer to the following article for more information on running the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility:http://dell.to/MNJv4B

Regards,
வினோத்குமார் நடராஜன்,
சென்னை
https://twitter.com/vinoth_vingo

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, I have had errors like this and the first thing I checked (both my laptop and desktop had this.) was to change the ram card or play elimination if you have more than one as usually crashes like this happen from dead ram cards. I had two in both my computers so just removed one until the one left was working and allowed the computer to boot....Simple. Believe me...I know it feels like you should investigate the hard drive as that was the error but pc's have strange ways of stating errors and it could be your ram. Ram's die from anything such as a power surge a sudden loss of power, overclocking, age, factory defects over time, etc. It is always worth a try!

This was the most helpful advice.  My son was ready to invest in a new computer until he tried this.  This will save him a lot of hard earned money.  I suggest everybody try this first before doing anything else.  Simple and easy fix.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, I have had errors like this and the first thing I checked (both my laptop and desktop had this.) was to change the ram card or play elimination if you have more than one as usually crashes like this happen from dead ram cards. I had two in both my computers so just removed one until the one left was working and allowed the computer to boot....Simple. Believe me...I know it feels like you should investigate the hard drive as that was the error but pc's have strange ways of stating errors and it could be your ram. Ram's die from anything such as a power surge a sudden loss of power, overclocking, age, factory defects over time, etc. It is always worth a try!

242 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

Thanks for the link. I think if I could get to the disk check, I'd stand a much better chance. Unfortunately, as stated, the system repair won't start =( It just sits on a blank background until you manually down the machine.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.