Hacked: Change security info

I was hacked on the 4th, and before I could log in they had already removed my email, changed my password, and changed my email twice. Once to a "mailnesia" account, I assume its a onetime email sort of thing, and then to another so I didn't even know the account login email for a while.

Luckily, my security questions are the same. And because my Xbox attempts to autosign me in, I learned the name of the email associated with the account now for log in.

I've now changed the password and regained my account for now, however when I got to the info page in an attempt to remove the hackers email it tells me I cannot make changes until they're finished finalizing the hackers changes by early January. If I try to cancel the changes? It asks to send an email to the backup email THEY set up. I have no way of changing my email back to my own, and the virtual assistant has been no help.

I currently have control of the account, but since the hacker has the email they can easily send password resets to boot me out. Do I *have* to wait until early January for the changes to finalize, only for me to attempt to change it back or is there any way around this? I've had no luck getting a hold of customer service, as it always boots me back to Virtual Assistant for "security reasons". I'm also worried they could change the security questions at some point. I already cancelled the debit card associated on my account, and they seem to have given up as there hasn't been any activity on the account the past couple of days. I'm still worried, and would rather not have to wait until January.

There is an article explaining about how to deal with compromised account which is:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10494/microsoft-account-how-to-access-a-compromised-account 

Follow steps there and do you have access to account setting?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I followed the steps and thats how I managed to reset the password on him/her, but when I go to account setting to remove their email it says:

"You can't access this site right now

This site requires a security code to sign in. When your security info updates on 1/3/2019 you will be able to access this site. You can still access sites such as Outlook and Skype that don't require a security code.
On 12/4/2018 you requested that your security info be replaced.
Current security info

Alternate email: 45*****@mailnesia.com "

That alternate email is also the hackers, so I cannot cancel the security change. When I try, it asks to send an email code to it.

Thanks a ton btw for the quick reply, I'm worrying my butt off every moment haha.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to wait for update info and it will be changed on the date and then you could take complete control of your account and change details. You may try contact support by email:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12401

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2023 Views 1,742 Applies to: