Groove Music playlist location

I have been struggling with playlist management in Groove for some time. I have a few playlists listed with the same name. All are the same (291 songs) except one (464 songs) and all called "Workout". I am not sure why I have so many duplicates of the smaller playlist. Anyway, in order to differentiate the larger playlist I renamed it ( using the rename function in Groove) to "Workout Large". I want to sync this to my Windows Phone. I can see the smaller "Workout" playlists in the Windows Phone App for Desktop but the renamed "Workout Large" is not listed.

I find it very, very frustrating that the change from Zune basically destroyed the utility of syncing to Windows Phone. Yes, I have uploaded all of my music to OneDrive (178GB) but I want the  "Workout Large" playlist loaded on my phone to play 'offline'. When I fly, I do not want to have to pay for crappy in-flight wifi just to listen to music. I have a different playlist on my phone that I loaded in the past via the WP Desktop App, but now want to change to the "Workout Large" playlist.

Does anyone know where I should look for my renamed playlist (it is not in the playlist folder where my music is stored on my home server)?

I really wish MS would update Groove to add the sync of Playlists to WP directly just as we could through Zune. (BTW the renamed playlist is not showing up in the old Zune software either, I looked)

For reference I am using Windows 10 on everything (Desktop, SP3, Server, Phone [preview build 10549])

11/28/15 Update: I will admit that I was ignorant of the new process for transferring music to my phone. It appears that the playlist I was looking for was in "the cloud" somewhere (not physically located on my PC). To transfer the playlist onto my phone I simply selected the option to make the playlist available offline (a selection in grove music when viewing the playlist) which then downloaded the entire playlist onto my phone storage.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am also wanting to export groove playlist or even find the location of it in the C:\ drive.

So what I have done now:

1) Opened up feedback item in the Windows feedback app

2) Downloaded the 3rd party .wpl playlist app from Windows store

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I noticed that a test playlist created from W10 was not saved in music\playlists, but instead in \videos of my onedrive share. Other non-w10 devices are configured to sync the \playlists folder, therefore don't sync the newly created playlist from w10. Can you check if you have the same behaviour? In this case a simple workaround could simply be manually moving .wpl files from \videos to \playlists

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply. I have searched all of my storage (all drives on my Home PC, Home Server, NAS backup drives, and Onedrive). The playlist I referenced in my initial post is nowhere to be found ( did a *.wpl search). The only explanation I can come up with is that this playlist, created in Groove Music, must not be a .wpl file otherwise it would appear in my search somewhere. I do not have a \videos folder on Onedrive and even if it was present a complete search of all drives and file structure/substructure should have revealed the playlist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

About an hour ago, I found the location of the playlist I downloaded from this non-groovy Groove thing.  Here's where I found them:

In your default music folder, you may notice a new folder there called "Music Cache," with a sub-folder called "Subscription Cache."  That's where my files went, and they're all .wma's.  So I tried playing a few, but this notice popped up: 

So, I clicked on Yes, and there it was - an X-box OOPS! page.  It turns out that the majority of the files are "protected," and therefore can't be playedon WMP; neither can they be opened in a sound editing program to convert to a different format, such as .mp3.  Unless, I'm guessing, you've paid for the service, and not just using a free pass.

Sorry it's such a long post, but maybe it will help someone.  I don't do iTunes, don't have a phone that plays music, and don't use One Drive, or synch anything.  I just have a desktop PC with W10, a large ext HD, and thousands of mp3's.  Good luck finding y'all's files.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where are the playlists created in the windows 10 groove music app stored at?  they aren't in the playlist folder.  I tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread, but none of them worked for me.  I don't even have a "music cache" or "subscription cache" folder in my music folder.  any suggestions where to look for my created playlists?  thanks.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've deleted Groove Music off my hard drive.

The music on it comes from my own library, from years of collections. Music I've paid for, not pirated.  So to have to spend more to actually hear my own playlists, is a money making scam.

I'll stick to iTunes which I knows does work, along with Media Player 10.

They at least save playlists, and give the opportunity to sync to another device.

Which is what I want when I want to play something at gym or in my car.

I've wasted almost 4 hours of creating new playlists, to find it's not saved anywhere, nor can I can I sync it.

I thought I'd give the app a chance - live and learn, how annoying!

114 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just created a playlist in Groove that I want to play in WMP because I want to download the music to my Android phone and play the music in a standard music player.  I just totally wasted my time to find out that one can only play Groove playlists and Android in the Groove app.

Oh, and all of the music is stuff I own -- MP3s not DRM stuff.

What a waste.  Microsoft should just get out of the consumer business entirely and focus on corporate.  They are a joke compared to Apple and Google as far as consumer and mobile goes.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to add my experience, I put all my music (mp3s) into One Drive Music Folder, and told groove to look for music (on PCs) in the One Drive Music folder, synched to the PCs hard drive. The result was half my music appeared as 'Available Offline' and half as 'Online Only'; even though its all, obviously, already available offline... because it's synched to my drive!

Several attempts never got much better results, so I decided that I'd play the game, and stopped synching music to my hard drive, and just use "Make Available Offline' in Groove; wherein it copies music to the 'Music Cache' folder in the system music folder. Unfortunately, Groove does not have the ability to cast, like WMP12 does, so I use the 'Lumia Play to' app, to play to DNLA devices, such as the TV/Stereo.

This would have been acceptable, except that 'Play To' comes up with the message 'This file type cannot be played' if you try to play files from that offline cache. It seems Groove stores them as a file type that is unreadable, by anything other than Groove. Diabolical.

As for my phone, all the same issues. I had all my music on a micro SD, but much of it was only available online, and I had to stream some songs on my playlist, over mobile data. Many were unavailable, if I went offline; even though I could play them directly from the card, using file explorer! It was a mess. I resorted to setting up a central copy, for my PCs and moved the One Drive music to an unmonitored folder, just as a backup (and to save me uploading it all again, if the issues got sorted!).

My Pcs now sync music as an offline folder, using 'Offline Files' and a mapped drive, in W10 Pro (which I have on all machines, fortunately). Groove then looks at the offline folder.

I still have weird playlist issues. Most work and sync fine, on all machines and my phone. One, in particular, has four tracks on it. On one machine, it shows 8 (4 repeated twice). On another, it shows 8, 4 being unavailable ("stored where we can't find them"); on my phone it is 4 tracks, as it should be; on another machine it shows 8 (4x2) and ALL are unavailable! I have deleted it and re-set it up on each machine (and phone) and some variation of all these issues, occurs each time. The only thing that varies is which machines are messed up. I haven't had this with other playlists; and I can establish no reason for this weirdness, whatsoever.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Worst Default App ever! A simple right-click menu of options similar to iTunes or any decent music player would have made this app at least somewhat acceptable. Very poor design. Easy fix- changed default app to Windows Media Player and moved on with my life :)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Media Player is a good program, but it's very slow, and uses a lot of RAM on my computer I noticed.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2022 Views 35,351 Applies to: