Greyed out files on Windows 10 timeline can't be removed

Hi,

I've got a number of previously opened files in my Windows 10 timeline that are greyed out and can't be removed. Also, no new activity is shown. Clearing history/activity and enabling/disabling the feature does not resolve the problem.

Is there a way to reset the timeline or activity history, other than through the settings? Where is the cache stored?

HW: Surface Pro 4 (i5/8GB/250GB)

Cheers

/Jacob Waeduemasor

Answer
Answer

I have found a solution but it will eliminate your entire timeline history.  The timeline will be reset and no past history will appear on it.  The timeline will start recording again after you reset your computer...

1. the data for the timeline is found in 

C:\Users\*yourname*\AppData\Local\ConnectedDevicesPlatform\cad730cd8db30c08\ActivitiesCache.db

note: that the folder name might not be precisely cad730cd..... you are looking for a folder with ActivitiesCache.db in it

note: if you can't see the AppData folder, you need to show hidden files in your file explorer

2. You will be deleting all three files that are in the folder containing ActivitiesCache.db... However, to delete these you need to temporarily stop the service that is using the database.

3. Call up TaskManager... (CTRL-Alt-Delete). Go to the Services tab... find the service called CPDUserSvc_7059ce and stop it. (right click on it and choose stop)

4. Now, you can delete all the files in the folder containing ActivitiesCache.db  (Leave the folder, just erase the files in it.)

5). restart your system.  The timeline service should restart automatically.  Windows will automatically start rebuilding a new ActivitiesCache.db… without any of the old greyed-out items.

134 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2020 Views 19,985 Applies to: