Greyed out files on Windows 10 timeline can't be removed

Hi,

I've got a number of previously opened files in my Windows 10 timeline that are greyed out and can't be removed. Also, no new activity is shown. Clearing history/activity and enabling/disabling the feature does not resolve the problem.

Is there a way to reset the timeline or activity history, other than through the settings? Where is the cache stored?

HW: Surface Pro 4 (i5/8GB/250GB)

Cheers

/Jacob Waeduemasor

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 9,051 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try this.
Go to start - settings and do a search for activity history.
From there you can clear it.
Now, they did remove this feature in an update because I don't have it anymore on my PC so you might not either and replaced it with "Manage my info that's stored in the cloud" which is unfortunate.

So I would put a feedback to Microsoft to bring this back.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/402156...

You can disable it via a registry if you want.
Let me know if you want do that.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That (clear history for account) unfortunatey doesn't work (and neither do disabling the two options).

This is an issue with the cache of the Timeline.

The "tile" is grayed out, and even if I right-click it and "Remove" or "Delete all history from day xxx" (I don't know if the exact translation of the buttons is this, but anyway it will be similar) the tile doesn't go away.

It's there, stuck, frozen, with no way to make it go away.

Please somebody from Microsoft advise us on how to force the delete of timeline's cache?

Thank you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.112.

I am having the same issue. Deleted activity but it just greyed it out with no way of removing it. I have disabled Timeline and have cleared all Activity History but it remains. The only way to not see the file, is to turn off Show Activities from Accounts.  Any suggestions would be helpful in removing greyed out file.

Jeff

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue. Greyed out items. I can't remove them individually, or if I try to clear the whole day nothing happens. I already cleared 'activity history' but to no avail. Please fix this.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found a solution but it will eliminate your entire timeline history.  The timeline will be reset and no past history will appear on it.  The timeline will start recording again after you reset your computer...

1. the data for the timeline is found in 

C:\Users\*yourname*\AppData\Local\ConnectedDevicesPlatform\cad730cd8db30c08\ActivitiesCache.db

note: that the folder name might not be precisely cad730cd..... you are looking for a folder with ActivitiesCache.db in it

note: if you can't see the AppData folder, you need to show hidden files in your file explorer

2. You will be deleting all three files that are in the folder containing ActivitiesCache.db... However, to delete these you need to temporarily stop the service that is using the database.

3. Call up TaskManager... (CTRL-Alt-Delete). Go to the Services tab... find the service called CPDUserSvc_7059ce and stop it. (right click on it and choose stop)

4. Now, you can delete all the files in the folder containing ActivitiesCache.db  (Leave the folder, just erase the files in it.)

5). restart your system.  The timeline service should restart automatically.  Windows will automatically start rebuilding a new ActivitiesCache.db… without any of the old greyed-out items.

64 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found a solution but it will eliminate your entire timeline history.  The timeline will be reset and no past history will appear on it.  The timeline will start recording again after you reset your computer...

1. the data for the timeline is found in 

C:\Users\*yourname*\AppData\Local\ConnectedDevicesPlatform\cad730cd8db30c08\ActivitiesCache.db

note: that the folder name might not be precisely cad730cd..... you are looking for a folder with ActivitiesCache.db in it

note: if you can't see the AppData folder, you need to show hidden files in your file explorer

2. You will be deleting all three files that are in the folder containing ActivitiesCache.db... However, to delete these you need to temporarily stop the service that is using the database.

3. Call up TaskManager... (CTRL-Alt-Delete). Go to the Services tab... find the service called CPDUserSvc_7059ce and stop it. (right click on it and choose stop)

4. Now, you can delete all the files in the folder containing ActivitiesCache.db  (Leave the folder, just erase the files in it.)

5). restart your system.  The timeline service should restart automatically.  Windows will automatically start rebuilding a new ActivitiesCache.db… without any of the old greyed-out items.

Does not work for me :-(
Network/Computer Support

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We're you able to delete the activitiescache.db and all the other files in that folder? Was it the one in the .. local... l folder? 

Sorry this didn't help.

We're you able to delete the activitiescache.db and all the other files in that folder? Was it the one in the .. local... l folder? 
Yes, your description was great but apparently those greyed out or dimmed files are still on my timeline. I tried many times.
Also, if I disable the mentioned Service and try to use the timeline Windows crashes.
Network/Computer Support

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmmmm.  It doesn't surprise me that Windows would crash if you tried to use the timeline before restarting your computer. The service should restart automatically restart when you reboot Windows.

If you have not done this, be sure to... Delete the ActivitiesCache.db, confirm that the folder is empty, then shut down and restart your computer immediately. DON'T just restart Windows and DON'T check the timeline or restart the service after you delete the .db file. ---Just shut it down and restart immediately. 

Also, I assume that before you found this article, that you already erased your cloud timeline. If the above still doesn't work, go to Settings>>All Settings>>Privacy>>Activity History>>clear it all... and go to manage my Microsoft activity data... and clear what is on the cloud.)

If your timeline still is showing your greyed-out stuff, it would suggest that there is another ActivityCache.db it is accessing. You might want to look to see what you have for other user accounts on your local machine.

The information isn't stored in the Registry, it is only stored in the cloud and the local .db. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, your description was great but apparently those greyed out or dimmed files are still on my timeline. I tried many times.
Also, if I disable the mentioned Service and try to use the timeline Windows crashes.

I had the same problem initially. The thing is, there can be multiple folders in C:\Users\*yourname*\AppData\Local\ConnectedDevicesPlatform\ that all contain the timeline cache. You have to delete all of them. Only after I removed the L.<username> folder, the timeline was empty. 

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.