Grey screen before login screen, can't get started with usual fixes

DW's computer can be turned OFF with power button, and I can hear the hard drive wind down.  When I turn it on again, all I get is a gray screen.

I've never had this happen before, and all the advice I read on the net is about what to do AFTER you login, get to the task manager, etc.

But this is BEFORE I have a working keyboard, pointer, icons, login screen, etc.

This means also that I can't change the startup to boot from the dvd drive and so on.

I'm kind of flummoxed here.  Any ideas?

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Please try these suggestions:

Start your PC then just as Windows loads - press and hold Power Button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a shut down. Do it 3 times. You may only need to do it twice, but on the third start Windows will boot into the recovery environment. 

You can also hold shift > press restart in the start menu to do the same 

1. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Option > Startup Repair. This will try to make Windows repair itself. 

2. Also try to go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Option > System Restore. You can check to see if you have a restore point here where you can go back to before the issue started. 

3. If you do not have a restore point, you can go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Option > Startup Settings > Restart. After you restart, press the button you need to to get into Safe mode, usually 4. Once in Safe Mode, backup your data if you can then open Device Manager via pressing Win+X > Device manager > update all drivers that you may be able to. Restart your PC after that. 

4. If everything else fails, you may need a reset entirely: In the same vain, go back to the recovery environment then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Reset this PC. Choose the option you want after that screen to keep files or not > start the reset.

Hope this helps!

Referenced from Zackary's post at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/how-to-fix-grey-screen-display-on-laptop-windows/57121bf4-9a8b-414a-810a-8dc7c21ab50c.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 29,028 Applies to: