gray screen after signing on, hard drive running its now 30 minutes

I went to take my Lenovo V460 out of sleep and pushed the start button.  First it ran, than I got a runtime error message and a flashing screen.  It then went to the normal sign in screen.  After signing in I got a gray screen, the hard drive runs (continuously and off and on) but it has now stayed in gray screen for 30 minutes.  Thankfully, I did not upgrade this laptop to W10.  Seems like it happens like this periodically (every couple of months) this time its worse.  Help please!

Hi,

It could be due to missing/corrupt drivers or missing updates or software/hardware changes. 

Try unplugging all your devices, and then plugging them in one at a time.

If unplugging external devices doesn't fix the problem, start your PC in Safe Mode and then try the following troubleshooting steps below.

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot>Advanced options>Startup settings>Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.
Reinstall your display adapter driver:
Once your PC is in Safe Mode, reinstall your display adapter driver.

1. Type device manager into the search box on the taskbar, and then select Device Manager.
  2. Expand Display adapter.
  3. Right-click the display adapter and select Uninstall>OK.
  4. Restart your PC.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue with grey screen. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.      

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2018 Views 434 Applies to: