Graphics Driver Clean-Reinstall Issue

Hello.

I have an Intel UHD Graphics 620 integrated graphics card. Today, I just clean-reinstalled my graphics drivers, because my performance seemed to slow down and GPU usage began to increase over time. I clean uninstalled my graphics drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller, and as all the driver installations and updates came to Windows Update, I installed them all. I made sure that I installed my OEM drivers, and nothing else.

But then, whenever I open a browser or game, it starts running at literally 1 FPS. Only that app ran at that framerate, while the resource usage was normal and everything else ran at a smooth 60 FPS or over. The problem temporarily gets fixed for that browser or game when I relaunch it, but it commonly happens again in another session of that app. It's pretty annoying to relaunch all the time, and as some of them have longer load times, I have to wait more than twice the time I generally do.

Please help.

Answer
Answer

Thank you for this step, but it seems like I don't really need it right now. You see, one of my friends told me that graphics drivers continuously leave traces in the Temp, %temp% and Prefetch folder. So, before beginning driver uninstall in Safe Mode, I cleaned those folders. After that, I created a System Restore point, if my custom method didn't work out.

Then it begins. Moment of truth.

Step 1: I booted to Safe Mode and launched DDU as admin.

Step 2: I made sure that my settings were as follows:

Step 3 and 4: I changed the driver uninstall process a bit.

Step 5: After uninstallation, I cleaned the Temp, %temp% and Prefetch folders.

Step 6: Restart.

Step 7: Once I got into Windows in normal mode, I started the driver install from Windows Update.

Step 8: Once the update was completed, I did not directly restart. I cleaned the Temp, %temp% and Prefetch folders again.

Step 9: Restart.

Step 10: PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

Yeah, that worked out for me. It was only but a silly experiment, which I did not think would be successful.

After I followed these steps, I found something during the Windows Update step. There was an extra update. As you have seen in my DDU settings, it will remove Intel Graphics Command Center, which it did. But before I found these steps out, Intel Graphics Command Center didn't reinstall from Windows Update. This time, I presume that the one extra update might have contained Intel Graphics Command Center, and some other components that Windows might have missed out on previously, which caused the problems.

Just because I found out a fix, doesn't mean that your replies are useless to me. Your second reply helped me know how to reinstall Windows from an ISO, which I didn't know first. Previously, I only knew about the in-place upgrade through Media Creation Tool. So, I'm marking your second reply as an answer!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Continue with all steps I gave including if necessary the Repair Install.

Also - Look over this tutorial for a gold standard Clean Install which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki... Note that the driver steps are so important they are printed in red.

The reason I suggest this is that no one who has adopted the install in the above link has ever come back to report further problems I've seen, including another version failure. This is because everything in Windows 10 is dependent upon the quality of the install, especially Version Updates which will choke on lesser quality installs, and there is no possibility of problems if you stick ONLY with the steps, tools and methods in that tutorial.

It is also one of life's great learning experiences that will permanently make you the master of your PC because you will learn everything that works best and how to keep it that way.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 4,211 Applies to: