Google chrome not opening on windows 10

I have a computer running Windows 10 pro. Since Microsoft Edge repeatedly fails to meet my demands, I have installed Google Chrome to use in its stead. However, no matter what I do, Chrome will not open. I have tried every single solution that I have seen on the internet, from uninstalling it and reinstalling it, to running as administrator, to checking to make sure that it is not blocked by the firewall, to running a compatibility troubleshoot. NOTHING works. Please help.

Hi Xander my name is Ferdinand, I am an Independent Advisor.

Here is what we can try to do, we will be removing the contents of the User data folder on Google Chrome,
This will also remove your Favorites or bookmarks, we can save the bookmarks file somewhere else and copy it back to the folder to restore your favorites, the downside with that is web icons will change to a default globe like icon, in other words the saved bookmarks web icons will disappear, but the website should still be accessible, it should go back to the normal icon once you visited that site again.

First this you need to do is
Restart the computer then follow the next steps below.

If you have favorites or bookmarks saved in Google Chrome follow these steps.
Open File Explorer, then on the top bar, click on the View tab, tick the box for Hidden Items.

Hit on Windows key and letter R to open the Run box
Type in %appdata% and then press enter.
Then go to Local folder, Google > Chrome > User Data > Default .
and then look for Bookmarks file and then copy it to your Desktop to save your favorites or Bookmarked websites in Google Chrome or copy it on your Documents folder.

And then Hit on Windows key and letter R to open the Run box
Type in %appdata% and then press enter. Go to Local folder, Google > Chrome > User Data. Delete everything inside User Data, do not delete the folder but only the contents of it. This will reset Google Chrome to defaults and will sign you out of Gmail if you are signed in.

Once you are done Open file explorer then click on This PC, click to open the C: drive then navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
Look for the Chrome application then double click to open.

To copy the Bookmarks files back, Hit on Windows key and letter R to open the Run box
Type in %appdata% and then press enter.
Then go to Local folder, Google > Chrome > User Data > Default .
Go to the folder where you saved your Bookmarks file then copy and paste it back to the Default folder.

Please let me know if did work. Thanks!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 3,085 Applies to: