Getting rid of Windows upgrade screen removal

I've elected not to upgrade to windows 10.  My desktop now has a permanent screen which says "Your upgrade is ready to install" and gives me only two options: "Schedule it for later" or "Start upgrade now".  I need to not only get rid of the screen, but also the constant reminders.  See image below.

Hello Hassinge,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

From the description provided, I understand that the Get Windows 10 notification is stuck, even after you choose an option.

Were you able to cancel the upgrade at any point of time?
Ref: Windows 10 upgrade: How-to information on scheduling and notifications

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to  to access the Task Manager (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + Del) and inside the Processes tab, scroll until you find the the process called GWX. Click on its name to select it, and then press End task.

If it still does not help, restart/reboot the system and then proceed towards the following steps to prevent the Get Windows 10 notification.

First of all, you need to access the Task Manager (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + Del) and terminate the process called GWX in the same way as suggested earlier. Click on its name to select it, and then press End task.

Further on, follow the below steps to uninstall the Windows KB update which installs the Get Windows 10 app.

• Launch Control Panel and click on Programs, then choose Programs and Features, and in the left side of the screen hit the “View installed updates” section.
  • Look for the KB3035583 in the list, right-click on it and choose the remove option.

Note:  Also, you need to hide the update again in windows updates to prevent it from auto installing again since this is marked “important”.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to Get Windows 10 notification for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had done both of these before, so the update was deleted and processed ended and it still appears.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still haven't resolved this issue.  The screen appears no matter that I've done everything that was suggested.  Since Microsoft is offering the upgrade until 7/31, I hope it will automatically disappear.  However, I'm furious that Microsoft would try and force me to install Windows 10 without offering a solution to eliminate this headache. And no one has the solution, even the experts!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 1,000 Applies to: