Getting Error while System Shutdown or Restart: reference memory could not be read.

Original title: Getting Error while System Shutdown or Restart

I started my system recently and since then I am getting an error message of some referenced memory error. You can see the snapshot of the error message I am getting.

Hi Sinto,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
  2. Is the issue specific when try to shut down or after restarting the computer?
  3. Did you install any application prior to the issue?
  4. Did you install any third party security application?
  5. Which is the current build installed on the computer?

I would like to inform you that it is difficult to pin point what causes this issue. However we will be able to narrow down the issue one by one and will find a right solution.

I suggest you to download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows update and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to check if the issue persists in Safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the issue does not persists in Safe mode, I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot state and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. Follow the Microsoft KB article to perform clean boot on the computer:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Applies to Windows 10

Disclaimer: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run DISM and check if it helps.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am have 2013 model computer Lenovo Z570, I am getting this error while shutting down the computer or restarting it. I installed the Xspilt gamecaster and it was asking for creating a $recycle bin or something like that but was not able to create however I forcefully installed it but I don't think its due to that. I have not installed any security updates or third party applications and current build on computer is Windows 10 Home.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sinto,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

To diagnose the issue in new user account, I would suggest you to try and recreate the issue in new user account and check if that helps.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Security, privacy & accounts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-privacy-accounts-help#security-privacy-accounts-help=windows-8&v0h=win8tab1&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1

Also, I would suggest you to try and follow the steps in the link given below and check if it helps.

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

All the above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.       

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to create new account but my PC is running on windows 10 and its already signed in to Microsoft account so can't create new account.

Also I tried sfc scan and there is no violation reported.

So how can I fix this..?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 2,265 Applies to: