"Get Outlook on your phone for free" ad when I boot up Outlook.live on PC

I've been using Outlook on this PC ever since I installed Win10. I've also had the Outlook app on each of my last half-dozen phones. Yet this ad has suddenly started showing up (last week or so, maybe?). I can't see a place where I can tell it, "I've already got what you're selling, go away" -- is there some way to disable this increasingly annoying ad?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

With the free Outlook.com, there is no setting that will eliminate ads. What many people do is to use an ad blocker in their web browser. There are multiple free ones. Look in your web browser's extension store.
Brian

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

With the free Outlook.com, there is no setting that will eliminate ads. What many people do is to use an ad blocker in their web browser. There are multiple free ones. Look in your web browser's extension store.

Thanks, Brian. However, I've also been using an ad blocker (AdBlock) for longer than I've had this PC. I've made no changes to it recently... and yet, this ad has just started popping up when I boot up or refresh Outlook.

For what it's worth: I have a subscription to MS 365; shouldn't that rule out the "free Outlook.com" condition?

If it helps to clarify...

... this isn't showing up as a pop-up; rather, it's in the preview pane in my Outlook page itself.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Brian. However, I've also been using an ad blocker (AdBlock) for longer than I've had this PC. I've made no changes to it recently... and yet, this ad has just started popping up when I boot up or refresh Outlook.

For what it's worth: I have a subscription to MS 365; shouldn't that rule out the "free Outlook.com" condition?

If it helps to clarify...

... this isn't showing up as a pop-up; rather, it's in the preview pane in my Outlook page itself.

I'm still wondering what's going on -- why did this annoyance suddenly appear, and how do I make it go away?

Granted, with all that's going on in the world, it's a minor problem... but it is beginning to really irk me. Enough that I'm considering moving to a different email client; just linking to my Outlook account from there.

Any help -- or answers -- would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a client that has a personal Microsoft subscription as well as an E3 365 corporate license. The preview pane advertisement to get outlook on mobile is even on that corporate outlook web account. I think maybe something is hardcoded into his personal subscription that is overriding the corporate one? really annoying

Sorry this didn't help.

No one at Microsoft or twitter has reached out to me.  This is getting progressively more and more annoying.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree it is not an ad but as you stated:  " it's in the preview pane in my Outlook page itself."  Thanks for helping us clarify the description.

Sorry this didn't help.

tl;dr      No.

I did not. After a couple of days of being bounced back and forth between various MS support sections -- each promising the *next* was comprised of experts who specialized in this sort of problem -- I gave up, and just click through whenever it shows up. Each of these "experts", after re-covering the same ground I had gone over with their predecessors, referred me back to one of the support teams (where there would be 'experts' who would, etc. etc.) I had already worked with. In the meantime, I agreed to have a couple remote in to my PC... where they screwed up a few settings, but accomplished nothing of note.

You might have better success than I did, but here's a summary of my experience:

- first, a rather annoying insistence that I not refer to it as an "ad". This took up much of the space in the various emails / chat strings we engaged in. Apparently, in the MS lexicon, "ad" has a very narrow definition, and the semantics seemed very, very important to them. If anyone from MS support is reading this: "ad" is short for "advertising". It is not only a pop-up ad in its own window. When I get an unasked-for page that promotes your products and encourages me to use new ones, that's advertising. When it interferes with the work I'm trying to do, it's a pain. When it suggests I try new features that I am already using AND paying for, it becomes really, really tedious.

-this may be in part responsible for the above observation: no one that I communicated with during this adventure seemed to have a strong command of the English language. At least... I hope that was the reason I received cut 'n' paste answers that didn't answer my questions or address the issues I described, no matter how I reworded them. The alternative was that they were intentionally deflecting & stonewalling, which I hope isn't the case.

In one way, I suppose, it could be considered a qualified success: I got tired enough of the runaround that the ads themselves became the lesser evil, and -- from their standpoint -- I stopped tieing up multiple "experts" on an issue they weren't going to solve.

Sorry this didn't help.

Great... =( 

If the user logs in to another machine that doesn't have his personal Microsoft account on it I don't think it shows that preview pane advertisement. I couldn't get it to replicate the issue at least...

Sorry this didn't help.

If it helps any: I do not have a business / enterprise Office installation on this PC; it's a personal subscription only. You might well be on the right track...

Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's a detailed response I received from Microsoft Twitter:

Perhaps if we all went to the link below and complained SOMEONE might finally realize that they have a major problem.

Unless this forum is the same group.  :- )

Thank for bringing this matter to our attention. Let’s see if there’s anything we can do to help the situation. We understand that you’re receiving the notification ads about getting Outlook as well on your phone for free. It’s a part of the Outlook(dot)com service to have these kinds of ads and the option to have it removed is unavailable. However, if you have the Office 365 subscription, you’ll also get the Premium https://msft.it/6013T5xIH features with an ad-free Outlook(dot)com mailbox. Having said that, we’d recommend that you post your feedback about this ad through Outlook(dot)com UserVoice forums page. In this way, our engineers and developers would be aware of your insights. Your comments and suggestions are also welcomed to be posted there. Click here: https://msft.it/6014T5xIyto post your concern. Should you have any clarifications, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 25, 2020 Views 320 Applies to: