Gaming Laptop having sudden FPS/Bandwidth issues after Windows 11 23H2

Hi.

I have owned an HP Pavilion gaming laptop since 2020. and for all of its lifetime up until late October the laptop has run most games which I play completely fine, clocking over 130 FPS in games like Valorant, CS:GO, and Grand Theft Auto 5 running at high-ultra settings. and about 80-90 FPS in AAA titles like Forza Horizon 5 running at High settings.

After I had updated to the Windows 23H2 update. I have been noticing sudden stutters and drastic FPS drops in the above-mentioned games. after going through a similar thread where the solution seemed to revolve around thermal throttling. i find that to be anywhere near the culprit here. as my laptop is in an air-conditioned room. with a cooling pad underneath. but more importantly, since the very day I got this laptop. the temps have been similar and I see no sudden increase in them. the laptop, since the day it was unboxed stayed at 90-95 degrees Celsius and went to a maximum of 105 before the TDP of the processor decreased. and the average temps of the laptop (under load) still remains the same after monitoring the FPS-TDP-TEMP graphs at the same time while gaming. i see no pattern. the only pattern that was statistically significant was when the usual stutter occurs

In newer games like Forza Horizon 5 the GPU utilization (remaining at 92-99 %) suddenly drops to 20-23 percent and the FPS drops from 70-80 to about 10-23, textures not loading. while the CPU utilization remains the same. the game returns a Bandwidth issue warning. as the game was installed on my 7200 RPM hard drive. i decided to move it to my SSD. the issue still existed. still passing it off as an in-game error. after playing some extremely lightweight indie games which run at about 200-300 FPS started having the same issue of sudden drops. similar stories with GTA V and other mentioned games the only difference being most of the older or "lighter" to run games didn't show the GPU utilization shot down. instead, it shot up to 100% and the CPU utilization shot up significantly too. but not as significant as the GPU (from about 20% to 30-40%). Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (campaign remastered) crashed with GPU errors after updating the latest drivers and re-installing windows entirely (still 23H2) the issue presists. as it has suddenly been brought up and i see no physical signs of damage that may have caused it. and the issue being brought up right after the 23H2 update. i suspect the OS to be the cause. i will attempt to do the same on windows 10 when i get the time to come to really put it to the test. Expert help will be heavily appreciated from my side as this is now really frustrating me now. hope the data i have put up helps and i will be attaching the GPU report from the call of duty MW2 client for any additional help.

hr: 887a0001 
hrRemovedReason: 00000000 
Video Memory Info: 
	Budget: 2862 MB 
	Budget (unscaled): 3367 MB 
	Used: 639 MB 
	Used (High watermark): 639 MB 
	Available: 2223 MB 
	Deficit: 0 MB 
System Video Memory Info: 
	Budget: 3397 MB 
	Budget (unscaled): 3397 MB 
	Used: 1172 MB 
	Used (High watermark): 1172 MB 
	Available: 2224 MB 
	Deficit: 0 MB 
--- Begin Breadcrumbs Report --- 
CommandQueue [Address]: last known fence value 
	CommandList [Address]: execution fence value 
		[status]: description 

Possible status are: 
		 \ : fence information shows the command has finished execution 
		   : fence information shows the command is not yet being processed 
		<!>: command is still executing 
		 >>: command finished execution 
		 + : marker was seen by the GPU 
		 - : marker does not carry GPU information 
		 ? : status is unknown 
Command Queue [00000220890eb0d0]: last known fence 46 
	Command List [000002208f83bc80]: end at fence 47 
		[ >>]: End 0000000000000000 
	Command List [000002208f83e6e0]: end at fence 48 
		[ + ]: DrawPrimitiveInstance: 2c02bd1a6b31995e (count: 1) 
		[ + ]: DrawPrimitiveInstance: 202ea3f8265da297 (count: 1) 
		[ + ]: DrawPrimitiveInstance: 2c02bd1a6b31995e (count: 14) 
		[ >>]: DrawPrimitiveInstance: 52c331a9faab0289 (count: 1) 
Command Queue [00000220890e9210]: last known fence 0 
Command Queue [00000220890ea920]: last known fence 55 
	Command List [000002208f867d60]: end at fence 56 
	Command List [000002208f868470]: end at fence 57 
Command Queue [00000220890e8020]: last known fence 0 
--- End Breadcrumbs Report --- 

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Facing the same issue performance degradation after i installed this update "2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032190)"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same issue here. Massive fps drops across all games (from 2d indie game to recent open world games). It is especially bad in Hogwarts Legacy as it results in mini freezes which last like half a second every other moment. I saw the the GPU utilization drops to single digits when it happens. I DDUd the GPU and rolled back to an older driver which did not help at all. Check RAM with memtest86, checked my SSDs with crystaldiskmark, did a stress test with furmark and everything came out without any issues. I even deinstalled the 23H2 Win11 update but the issue persists.

I really hope there is nothing physically damaged inside my Laptop, but as each component passed the tests without error I dont think so.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem, I found the answer on Reddit; https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/17ytpxr/cpu_performance_degradation_after_23h2_update/

tldr: "Received an answer from Microsoft after 3 days, they told me to reset Windows Defender through a couple of PowerShell commands (1- "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted" and 2- "Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage") then reboot and enable CPU Virtualization in BIOS (SVM in my X570 BIOS), then in Windows 23H2 open Windows Security and enable Memory Integrity under the Core Isolation settings. Restart and Hypervisor should be running, Virtualization Security will be Enabled and... that fixes the CPU performance issues, CPU now performing as in 22H2 where I had these security features disabled."

The same performance degradation reappeared after a Windows update, but going through the above procedure again restored it. You don't need to disable and re-enable CPU virtualization in BIOS, you just set it to on and that is it. 99% of computers already have it on.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no need to run the following command,

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

It is not required for the following command to work,

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage

Please do not alter your Execution Policy, as it exposes you to security threats.

I am astonished that Microsoft has not removed such a fix from this topic.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I came here to say this exact same thing as I've seen these steps posted around...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I accidentally changed Execution Policy how can i change to default ?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies for the delayed response, to reset Policies to default values and protect yourself from malicious scripts, please execute the following command,

Set-ExecutionPolicy Default

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 7,549 Applies to: