Games not working under Windows 10

I upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10 last autumn. The computer was bought with win 8.0 installed, no physical disc included. After the upgrade to win 10, everything worked fine, so after a while I deleted the backup of 8.1 due to limited space on the C disc (only 120 GB ssd). Last week-end I wanted to play some of my older games like Civilization 4 that I only have on disc (not in my Steam library). These worked all well under win 8.1. Starting up the game, I got the message "Please login with administrator privileges and try again." I believe I do have administrator rights on my own PC. I checked security properties for the civilization 4 folders, and everything looked OK with respect to rights issues, however I still get the error message. I then ran autorun.exe on the civilization disc as administrator. This time I did not get the error message, but nothing else happened. No loading of game. I have a large amount of games that are bought on disc. Only a few of these seem to work with win 10. Is this an issue that can be resolved, or do I either have to buy all games once more on Steam, or revert to win 8.1? I Definitely do not want to buy all the games once more. Firstly, it would be quite costly. Secondly, not all of the games are on Steam. If reverting to win 8.1 is the only option that does not cost me a lot of money, how do I go forward with that? (back-up of win 8.1 deleted)

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

The issue might cause due to compatibility issues of the game with Windows 10. So, I suggest you to install the game in compatibility mode by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.
  2. Select “Compatibility” Tab.
  3. Place a check mark next to“Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.
  4. Let the game install and then check thefunctionality.

Hope this helps. keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote answer from Eeshwar Kumar: "3: Place a check mark next to“Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list."

------------------
Done step 1 and 2 in 
Eeshwar Kumar's reply. Step 3 however fails: Windows 10 does not show up in the drop down list. The list stops at Windows 8 even though the PC runs Windows 10.

-> Issue still unsolved.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting your reply. We apologize for the delay in response.

I would like to inform that Compatibility mode is used to run the program in a previous version of Windows which cannot run in the current version. As per the steps provided, you will have to select the previous Operating System. So, Windows 10 will not be listed in the Operating System if your current Operating system is Windows 10. Compatibility mode is used to install the program in the Operating System (Windows 8/8.1) in which it was operating fine. so, please select Windows 8/8.1 in step 3 and install the game.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Civilization 4 that I only have on disc... "Please login with administrator privileges and try again."...

I have a large amount of games that are bought on disc. Only a few of these seem to work with win 10"

It looks like Tom has dropped out of his thread, but his problem has nothing to do with compatibility.

Many disk based games are being prevented from launching due to a malware developed by MS.

This malware is called DRM Blocking.

DRM Blocking is built into Win10 and is being installed on Win 7/8/8.1 machines in the form of a

Windows Security Update - KB3086255.

(MS may prefer using the term 'Windows no longer supports the  secdrv.sys driver', but the fact is

MS's malware simply blocks disk based games from loading when this driver is found on the disk during

the disk check that is done by the copy protection system that game uses. Either SecuROM or SafeDisk.)

- I have only recently found that with Civ4 at least, you can email 2K Games and request a Steam key

for  your disk based game.

Apparently Origin and UbiSoft are doing the same, at least with some games, and allowing you to

convert (and download) your EA or UbiSoft games to your Origin or UPlay account.

- Any disk based game that cannot be converted to a digital download without having to pay again

will still require a noCD fix/patch/hack to run on Win10 ( Win7/8/8.1 have two other options).

"Please login with administrator privileges and try again."

This telltale DRM Blocking error message is bogus. A cruel hoax. MS was not decent enough to create a proper

error message, and instead allows people to run around in circles trying to make the 'admin' option work.

Great corporate citizen. Win 10 may see them at the top of the most hated corps. this year.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not working.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tom,

For further assistance about your concern, we recommend to Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps. You can click this link for the steps prompted.

Let us know how it goes.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 19,733 Applies to: