Games for Windows Live and GTA Episodes from Liberty City

I haven't played this game for a while and decided to give it another round. While I can select "play offline" and run the game, I can't save any progress unless I log into my Windows Live Account. 

Now I can log on under Google Chrome or Windows Explorer with no problems (mind you this seems to have changed it format to Xbox Live) only since I have linked my "Live" account to my Rockstar games "Social Club" account.

When I start the game to be able to save any progress or load a saved game, I have to log into my Windows Live account, however it keeps saying that the account log-in and/or password is incorrect, even when I have it running under Chrome at the same time on my second monitor

I have read that Microsoft has terminated Windows Live and if so they have KILLED MY GAME  and cost me money as the game is now useless. What's the point in having a game you can't save any progress in and just start from the beginning every time you try to play it?

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Does anybody know how to get around this problem

Cheers

ColBoy

Answer
Answer

I've seen a lot of threads over the years regarding various games with GFWL and not being able to save unless  logged in, but I've never had that problem (except for 'ghost' cars in DIRT 3).
Fortunately I've not had a problem with - " the account log-in and/or password is incorrect, " - either

(well, not since I started avoiding going on line,  or updating  GFWL ).

With GTA4 and EFLC  I've always used the   'xliveless' (replaces xlive.dll in games folder ), which can be found on various modding sites, but you cannot play on line when using the xliveless fix.

I don't really recall if this was necessary in order to save this game when off line. I just wanted to avoid  GFWL from the start, because it's always been trouble. With this fix you don't even get a GFWL screen.

You do still have to tell Social Club to play off line though, but I don't bother typing in any 'credentials'

( I just loaded EFLC and saved to an empty slot to verify a couple of minutes ago).

"I have read that Microsoft has terminated Windows Live"

This was supposed to be the case, but I think it's still hanging over our heads.
- I loaded Bats-AC  last week and was able to log into GFWL off line.

GFWL does ask me to update, but I refuse the update, and it then logs me in off line anyway.

The game did save at the next checkpoint.

Some games have been 'ported' over to Steam to become GFWL free. DIRT 3 is the latest that you can 'add' to your Steam account, (or buy the 'new' Steam version w/o GFWL).

It may be worth checking Steam to see if you can 'add' the game to your Steam account.

- This is the first I've heard of linking GFWL to Social Club.

Is the linking of GFWL to the Social Club supposed to also be a way around GFWL as well ?

I suppose this would be the preferred way if wanting to play on line (if it can't be done via Steam).

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 26, 2024 Views 1,686 Applies to: