Frozen on blue screen after asked to activate

I just performed a reinstall on Windows XP professional after a virus wiped out my file structure on Dell laptop.  Used a CD that was floating around my company as the OS was preinstalled on my laptop and the original disk is no longer with the computer.  Reinstall seemed to complete without a hitch.  Asked for product key for activation.  Took the original product key from the bottom of the computer and entered it.  Windows moved on to a black authorizing screen with the words "please wait..." I waited for several hours with no activity.  Reluctantly determined that a hard reboot would be necessary to get off the screen.  After this Windows starts normally all the way through login then says it is loading personal settings/applying personal settings, then a message saying "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on.  Do you want to activate Windows now?"  With Yes and No buttons.  I click yes.  The process progresses to a blue screen and an arrow with an hourglass, then .... nothing.  For hours if I leave it.

I realize I most likely screwed up the activation with the hard reboot while the process was hung up.  I called technical support and keep getting transferred between Activation and Technical support.  Plus a fuzzy connection and language barrier caused me to abandon the process after being repeatedly asked what is the activation number after I add the product key which I did not write down and can no longer access.  How do I progress beyond this point to repair the activation?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

You may refer the following KB article and check if it helps:

Blank Activate Windows page in the Windows Product Activation Wizard

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314935

Also refer the link:

How to activate Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Hope this information is helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 277 Applies to: