Free space and Logical drive isolated by a green frame

I want to use this free space of 35.53 GB and allocate it to either C: or M: but the free space can only be changed to another partition.
and i also have two 1.xx GB partition i think its because i use to have another OS installed how do i figure out which belongs to Windows?

here is a capture of my Disk Management screen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92450717@N03/8404341304/in/photostream/lightbox/

I read past posts with answers already but the solution usually involves other programs. I am hoping to get a solution that does not involve any other program :)

Hi AbitCraiz,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with free space in disk management and you want to know how to merge the free space of 35.53 GB in a different drive. Correct me if I am wrong.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will try to help you in fixing the issue.

According to the screenshot that you have captured, you can only create a new partition with the free space.

If you still want to merge the free space with any of the two drives, then you have to use your favorite search engine for a third-party software to merge the free space to the existing drive.

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE DISCLAIMER:

Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

I hope the above information helps you.

In future if you come across any issues regarding Windows, please feel free to post your query here on Microsoft Community, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hahahaha I really appreciate the time you gave to this post Mahesh B G. I dont know if the details to my question are not clear  but there is no difference from your answer and my question's details
Do you know how to remove that green frame or do you know how to solve this issue with out have to use other programs ( third party software )

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

C:\ Boot partition is where Windows is installed. This can also be verified in Start > Computer.

The first partition is the recovery partition for repairing Windows from. I don't actually have
experience in using recovery partitions as I don't buy factory built PC's, but this stays as it is.

You may be able to use the free space by extending the C:\ partition by 35.53GB, but I've
not done this either as I don't want to risk stuffing up my Windows install, and because it is the
Windows partition it may not allow extending the Window partition for the same reason.
Third party software is more flexible than Windows Disk  Management  and may be a safer way of
extending the C:\ partition, which is a bit small if you keep your music, etc in the default locations.

Another option is to back up everything you have on the M:\ partition to another source and delete it and the other empty primary partition .
Once these partitions have been deleted you can do a quick format and create a single partition
or multiple partitions form the one contiguous space that will result from the deletions.
Again, third party software may be able to use the current free space in M:\ , but with Windows
Disk Management you cannot extend backwards, so to speak. Awkward ain't it ?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are still there - If you delete the free space (green) partition and create unallocated space
you should be able to extend the C:\ drive into that.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the thing is i can't delete the green space all options are greyed out except for New Simple Volume and Help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you make it a partition- new simple volume -  and then delete the partition ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First BACK UP ALL DATA, AND YOUR C:\! Then you can shrink the extended partition denoted by the green frame, and then grow the C:\ partition to use the unallocated space, I do things like this all the time. or you can grow the front of M:\ to use the unallocated space, or you can shrink the extended partition part way, and grow both C:\ and M:\ to use up the space. For the other 2 partitions, leave the 1.46GB partition alone, it is supposed to be a recovery partition, but does include your boot sector, and you don't want to mess that up. Check the 1.87GB for files and data (including hidden files), and if there is nothing there you can delete it, then grow the extended partition to include that space, that way you can grow M:\ to use that space.

To shrink the extended partition click on it, then click "Action", point to "All Tasks", and click on "shrink Volume...", you will then after a wait while the programs finds out how much room you have for shrinking, you will be presented with a window telling you how much you can shrink it.

To grow or extend ether C:\ or M:\ just look for the extend volume option where you found the shrink option.

To delete the 1.87GB partition look for the delete option in the same place you found the shrink and extend options

You will find that as it was when you took the screenshot you could only shrink the extended partition, or grow the M:\ partition.

The reason that I stress backing up all data, and your C:\ is because while most repartitioning software is pretty safe most of the time things can happen, also in ther case of your M:\ partition you might be working on the front end of the partition, which is more likely to cause problems.

Another thing, if you don't feel comfortable with my instructions see if you have a tech savvy friend or neighbor who is willing to help or at least coach you through it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 7,920 Applies to: