"Free" Product Key on Mac Boot Camp

I have been using my MacBook for a while and I decided to install Windows 10, via Bootcamp, just to see what it was like. Once I was done, I knew, because I never gave it a product key, that I would be limited on my features in things, like getting rid of a watermark or customizing my view. I was planning to get a product key, later, but I wanted to see if it was worth it. However, after using it for a couple of days, I noticed I could use it like any other PC, without annoying watermarks covering my view. So, I went into settings and saw that my PC is activated with a license that is linked to my account. Then, I check the properties of "This PC" in File Explorer and it showed a product key and that Windows 10 was activated. 

I'm wondering why Windows 10 is activated and I have a product key, even though I never gave it a product key once in this mac's life. So, is Microsoft giving me a free product key with my account or did my Mac come with a free product key built-in?

Hi Galexy,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

I haven't heard of either. Did you install Windows sometime back in the past?
Do you have any other Windows PCs in the home, linked to your MS account?
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you install Windows sometime back in the past?
Do you have any other Windows PCs in the home, linked to your MS account?

No, this is my first time trying Bootcamp. And yes, I do have one running Windows 10 Pro, but I downloaded Home. Plus, I did compare the product keys and they were different.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's very very odd. Because we are just volunteers here and cannot tell seeing the product what its history is, but if your device is activated you do not need to take any action.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2024 Views 34,100 Applies to: